SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Error backup database: nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file ...

Error backup database: nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file ...

Author
ico-601891
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,

I have installed SQL Server 2008 Std Edition in Cluster on Windows 2008 R2.

I have a maintenance plan that daily are doing user databases backup, but last night the execution of this plan has failed.

The job of the maintenance plan show me the next error messages:

"...
Description: Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [MyDatabase] TO DISK = N'E:\MyDatabase.bak" failed with the following error: "A nonrecoverable I/O error occurred on file "E:\MyDatabase.bak:" 112(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15100). BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly... "

Also in the SQL Server log I can see the following errors:

"
Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.

Extend Disk Backup: failure on backup device 'E:\MyDatabase.bak'. Operating system error 112(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15100).

Error: 18210, Severity: 16, State: 1.
".

I have been searching but can not see what was the possible problem.

Any suggestion?

Many thanks in advance.
Ali Tailor
Ali Tailor
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Hi

Try DBCC checkdb
And be sure Is manual backup is passible on database?
And Is the backup Plan was Ok earlier?

Ali
MCTS SQL Server2k8
crazy4sql
crazy4sql
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

have you tried to change the backup location to some other drive or the drive where you already taking the daily backup.

----------
Ashish
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)

A quick google search reveals that Operating system error 112 means "There is not enough space on the disk.". Hence I would guess that there isn't enough space for the backup whereever you're trying to write it.

Free up some space or take the backup somewhere else.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

ico-601891
ico-601891
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)SSC Eights! (850 reputation)

Hi,

I have reviewed all logs and effectively when the error occurred backup disk was full.

I've freed up space and everything works fine.

Thank you very much Ali, ashish and Gila.
Achilies
Achilies
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)

Sql Maintainance plan which takes Full backups of 6 databases is failing with the following error:
Error Number: -1073548784
----------------------
Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [DatabaseName] TO DISK = N'\\\\BackupLocation" failed with the following error: "Write on "\\\\backuplocation\DatabaseName.bak" failed: 112(There is not enough space on the disk.)
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
10 percent processed.
20 percent processed.
30 percent processed.
40 percent processed.
50 percent processed.
60 percent processed.
70 percent processed.
80 percent processed.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.-
-----------------------
The backup job runs every day and it failed yesterday. All the othere databases in the package ran successfully taking the backup.(Backups files are valid.) The backup file of this database is usually comes around 55gb and when this job ran there was enough space of >150gb. Backups are saved on Local server connection.Today the backup file came to 56 gb and the job was successful today.
Any reasons why did the job failed?
Sean Pearce
Sean Pearce
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Beginner_2008 (1/21/2013)
Sql Maintainance plan which takes Full backups of 6 databases is failing with the following error:
Error Number: -1073548784
----------------------
Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [DatabaseName] TO DISK = N'\\\\BackupLocation" failed with the following error: "Write on "\\\\backuplocation\DatabaseName.bak" failed: 112(There is not enough space on the disk.)
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
10 percent processed.
20 percent processed.
30 percent processed.
40 percent processed.
50 percent processed.
60 percent processed.
70 percent processed.
80 percent processed.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.-
-----------------------
The backup job runs every day and it failed yesterday. All the othere databases in the package ran successfully taking the backup.(Backups files are valid.) The backup file of this database is usually comes around 55gb and when this job ran there was enough space of >150gb. Backups are saved on Local server connection.Today the backup file came to 56 gb and the job was successful today.
Any reasons why did the job failed?

There is a subtle clue in the error message.

The SQL Guy @ blogspot

@SeanPearceSQL

About Me
Achilies
Achilies
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)SSC-Addicted (465 reputation)

There is enough space for backup file. Disk has 150gb where backup file comes around 56gb.
Any clues?
Hotfix
Hotfix
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)SSC Journeyman (93 reputation)

similar issues, I had SQLVDI from CommVault is holding a read lock on all the databases, Killed/Suspended the job in CommVault, restarted the server in the middle of the night, backup is functional.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.