SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

'Just Google It'

'Just Google It'

Author
ken.trock
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
You have to always keep your 'head' and whenever possible verify all aspects and compare them to your situation. More often than not things that might seem relevant are completely irrelevant to your situation.

So true. My situation sometimes is that I'll get a SQL or Windows error that I can't solve on my own. I'll plug the error text or # into a search engine and get a bunch of hits. The advice given in these results can lead you down 3 or 4 different tangents leaving more confused than than when you started :-D. It's worth a little investigation just to see which avenue(s) might be relevant to your case.

And I agree with Keith that Google yields better results for these types of queries than Bing.

Ken
Ray K
Ray K
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.7K reputation)

Good article. Kinda reminds me of people who blindly follow their GPS -- the device says "turn left here," even though it'll take them right into a lake.

Like everything else, Google is a tool. People need to know that a tool helps them do work -- it doesn't do the work for them!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
‌Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/
TravisDBA
TravisDBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

When reading information results from ANY search engine online just remember to turn your "common sense filter" on. and you will be ok. Answers are not always accurate or complete for that matter on these search engines. This is kind of a no-brainer for most of us. :-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"
david_wendelken
david_wendelken
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)SSC-Addicted (436 reputation)

I'm a moderator on a developer forum.

It's scary how many people ask how to install a shin brace for their gun so they can hit their foot with 100% accuracy.

I've lost count of the number of times I've refused to answer a question until the poster proved they weren't asking how to do something stupid and/or harmful.

I'm more tactful than that, but that's the gist of the initial response. ;-)

Every once in awhile the poster has a legitimate reason to do what appears to be a darn fool thing to be doing. I've found that the ones who do don't mind being questioned first.
jeff.mason
jeff.mason
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I almost couldn't do my job without Google. Every week I am finding some problem that I can solve in a matter of minutes/maybe an hour or less simply by entering the error text detail into Google and doing a search.

However, this assumes that 1) you know the basics of your application (in our case SQL Server) and you only google the weird errors and 2) you know how to filter out junk. Cardinal rule is to search for responses that have *.microsoft.com as the web address, as those most often will be best for the actual answer. But yeah, though for novice DBAs it may be risky, I almost don't think advanced DBAs could do without it at this point, there is so much out there that we don't know and is not in BOL.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.