SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Simple LIKE with wildcard

Simple LIKE with wildcard

Author
gserdijn
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
First thought: How can values like 'AA' be found with LIKE '_' ?

Zero rows. Click. Zero points.

Next time I will wait for the caffeine to do its work. I learned something, hope I remember it when I need it. ;-)

Dutch Anti-RBAR League
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

gserdijn (5/27/2010)
First thought: How can values like 'AA' be found with LIKE '_' ?

Zero rows. Click. Zero points.

Next time I will wait for the caffeine to do its work. I learned something, hope I remember it when I need it. ;-)

I was surprised too. I watched it after one of my coworkers came with a question: "How it is possible, this query returned this data?" His pattern was little bit more complicated, something like '__[_]_[_][[]%'.
And the best point: I could write a question with "It depends" option:-)

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
UMG Developer
UMG Developer
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

I almost picked "It Depends" because, but I thought no, it couldn't be possible with a standard VARCHAR. Learned another thing today, at the cost of a point. :-)
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

A beautiful question, which may have made some of the backwoodsmen notice that there are collations other than the one which fits US ASCII perfectly and fits nothing else. But I'm not holding my breath while waiting for the average US (or should that be "U/S"?) DBA or DB designer to notice our weird "foreign" collation stuff.

Tom

honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

Tom.Thomson (9/22/2010)
A beautiful question, which may have made some of the backwoodsmen notice that there are collations other than the one which fits US ASCII perfectly and fits nothing else. But I'm not holding my breath while waiting for the average US (or should that be "U/S"?) DBA or DB designer to notice our weird "foreign" collation stuff.

Thank you.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
scottm30
scottm30
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)Right there with Babe (775 reputation)

Great question, thanks!
I lost a point here, but it was well worth it as I hadn't even considered collation when I answered.
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

crussell-931424 (6/11/2014)
How did I miss this one?

Judging by your comment posted Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:33 PM the answer to that question is pretty obvious, but in the interests of being polite I will omit supplying that answer.

Tom

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.