SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Careful with table name alias

Careful with table name alias

Author
john.arnott
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
This was a good way to point out the risk of using reserved words within brackets as a user-defined object. While I would suppose few people would want to name a table "WHERE" as in the QOD, some other words like "Name" may be more attractive.

Alternatively, the use of brackets does offer the opportunity to have some fun...... (yes, this works).

create table [where]([Select from there] varchar(50))
insert into [where] values ('Careful with this')
select [from there].[Select from there] [from there] from [where] [from there]

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

john.arnott (5/14/2010)
This was a good way to point out the risk of using reserved words within brackets as a user-defined object. While I would suppose few people would want to name a table "WHERE" as in the QOD, some other words like "Name" may be more attractive.

Alternatively, the use of brackets does offer the opportunity to have some fun...... (yes, this works).

How many people would be fooled by that chicanery?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

jlennartz
jlennartz
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (936 reputation)SSC Eights! (936 reputation)SSC Eights! (936 reputation)SSC Eights! (936 reputation)SSC Eights! (936 reputation)SSC Eights! (936 reputation)SSC Eights! (936 reputation)SSC Eights! (936 reputation)

CirquedeSQLeil (5/14/2010)
When using the AS to alias a Table, it makes it more clear to anybody coming after you to read what your intent was.

Thank you Jason.

That is why I assumed it wasn't aliasing because there was no AS.

This is why I do QotD, I alway learn something.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)SSC Guru (64K reputation)

You're welcome.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Oleg Netchaev
Oleg Netchaev
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

john.arnott (5/14/2010)

Cool, I just learned a new word, thank you Jason (chicanery - the use of clever but tricky talk or action to deceive or evade someone).

Oleg
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Oleg Netchaev (5/14/2010)
Nice question, thank you. It would be nice though if the database engine team would limit some of the square brackets allowances and throw sev 20 error. Something like:

Msg 8421, Level 20, State 1, Line 1
Abuse of the database engine encountered.
The connection has been forcibly closed by the server.

Oleg

I agree 100% with that. Allowing the sort of incredibley illegible nonsense that can arise out of this is one of SQLS's faults.

Although sev 20 maybe is a bit OTT - just kill the query rather than the connection, maybe?

Tom

SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru

Oleg Netchaev (5/14/2010)
john.arnott (5/14/2010)

Cool, I just learned a new word, thank you Jason (chicanery - the use of clever but tricky talk or action to deceive or evade someone).

Oleg

Woot w00t

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

sharath.chalamgari
sharath.chalamgari
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Good Example John
deepak.a
deepak.a
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Interesting and Good Question
Thanks Smile
ADY
ADY
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

No You can't use it as [flag='y'].some_data, because you not give the table alias and fetching the column with reference to table alias, it can be work as select [flag='y'].some_data from [where] [flag='y']
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.