SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Values <> null

Values <> null

Author
Daniel Bowlin
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I love all these questions and discussions about so many of the smaller (but usually critical to understand) details. They really make me think, and definitely make me better whether I got the question right or wrong.:-)
Trey Staker
Trey Staker
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Good question but it is a variation on a theme we've had as QOD in the past. I wish the Questioner would have included a few more details on Ansi NULL ON vs OFF.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Full Links:
KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

Group: Administrators
The question has been edited to include ANSI NULLS set on.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Nice question and thanks for updating it as well Steve.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

sdorris-1150234
sdorris-1150234
Old Hand
Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)

I was sure I had the correct answer based on the question in the email...but when I linked to the site I saw another question - "What is the output of this query if ANSI NULLS are set to ON?". Was this a side question, or part of the original question? At this point, I wasn't sure which one was the actual question, so I got it wrong. A bit confusing.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)SSC Guru (146K reputation)

Group: Administrators
We can't edit the question in email. If we find an issue, it's corrected on the site.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
sdorris-1150234
sdorris-1150234
Old Hand
Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)Old Hand (307 reputation)

Ahhhh...that's why you call us McNewbie's. :-) Great site, and great editorials. Look forward to seeing them every day.
lloyd-236007
lloyd-236007
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)SSC Journeyman (99 reputation)

yes actually i had that question with default settings in mind, but its good to see so many responses as i know it has actually set minds thinking and after all thats the objective.
In future i will include things like this.
John McC
John McC
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Remember:

Never assume anything because it can make a donkey out of u and me

Won't let me SUBSTRING('assume',1,3) :-D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Normal chaos will be resumed as soon as possible. Crazy
amit_adarsh
amit_adarsh
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (840 reputation)SSC Eights! (840 reputation)SSC Eights! (840 reputation)SSC Eights! (840 reputation)SSC Eights! (840 reputation)SSC Eights! (840 reputation)SSC Eights! (840 reputation)SSC Eights! (840 reputation)

its all about the database setting of ANSI_NULLS

Set ANSI_NULLS off / on

But by default database settings for ANSI_NULLS is ON so you will get nothing .
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.