Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

NULL

NULL

Author
honza.mf
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Sorry: NULL IS NULL.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Tao Klerks
Tao Klerks
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Hah, should have known Hugo would come explain everything properly - ignore my posts, concentrate on his Smile

http://poorsql.com for T-SQL formatting: free as in speech, free as in beer, free to run in SSMS or on your version control server - free however you want it.
spaghettidba
spaghettidba
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.7K reputation)

I got my point because I could guess the spirit of the question from the "UNKNOWN" option, but it's plain wrong.
NULL := NULL

--
Gianluca Sartori

How to post T-SQL questions
spaghettidba.com
@spaghettidba
Christian Buettner-167247
Christian Buettner-167247
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (4/13/2010)
[wrote lots of good stuff...]

Thanks for this excellent clarification which deserves an Article on its own! So you better get started! :-D

Best Regards,

Chris Büttner
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Christian Buettner-167247 (4/13/2010)
Hugo Kornelis (4/13/2010)
[wrote lots of good stuff...]

Thanks for this excellent clarification which deserves an Article on its own! So you better get started! :-D
Thanks, Chris!

I already wrote and published that article some years ago. Just not here, but on my blog. See the links in my first post.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Cath Trimble
Cath Trimble
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)SSC Eights! (819 reputation)

I opted for the NULL answer. My understanding was, and still is, that NULL doesn't mean unknown, but that any potential value is simply not there.

Regards,
Cath

"Hang on lads, I've got a great idea. "
Michael Caine (Charlie Croker) The Italian Job
Niko Neugebauer
Niko Neugebauer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

For me, NULL is definitely not «Unknown», since «Unknown» is a result of a logical operation.
Being in doubt i voted for NULL, but the question should have had more explanation.
Conan The Canadian
Conan The Canadian
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (175 reputation)

NULL means the absense of a value....

NULL means NULL.

NULL does not equal NULL which is very different statement from means.

Kev -=Conan The Canadian=-
@ConanTheCdn
honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

And what about not mentioned option "empty value". For numerics it is clear, but for strings, it's dangerous to mix with empty string.
NULL is unassigned value - no value at all, UKNOWN is special logical value, and zero/'' are normal values.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Nadrek
Nadrek
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

For a question about NULL to make any sense, the context and/or the operational definition must be set.

NULL has different results in the same operations based on other settings, therefore, NULL has different definitions based on those settings.

None of that is counting certain segments of actual practice, (not theory) in which the operational definition of NULL is actually 'Treat it as you treat empty string or 0 or some other known value, because those who came before failed to set the column to be NOT NULL for one or more reasons, and we aren't allowed to change the data or the setting now'.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.