SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Creating view from stored procedure results

Creating view from stored procedure results

Author
Raghunath Garlapati
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,

Is it possible to create a view from stored procedure , like i need to create a view which should return the result set of procedure.

/********************************************************
Technology is just a tool,in terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them,the teacher is the most important.
********************************************************/
ChrisM@Work
ChrisM@Work
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)

Can you explain the context?

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Raghunath Garlapati
Raghunath Garlapati
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)

Hi,

I have a tool in .NET which accepts only views but i have some procedures which returns some result sets but Id is common in all the result set so i need to make one proc to join all the results sets depending on Id and make one result set (Ithought of using table variable) and finally from this procedure i need a view.

Technology is just a tool,in terms of getting the kids working together and motivating them,the teacher is the most important.
ChrisM@Work
ChrisM@Work
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)

grngarlapati (1/4/2010)
Hi,

I have a tool in .NET which accepts only views but i have some procedures which returns some result sets but Id is common in all the result set so i need to make one proc to join all the results sets depending on Id and make one result set (Ithought of using table variable) and finally from this procedure i need a view.

That's quite a limitation.

The output from a stored procedure can be streamed into an existing table using SELECT .... INTO .... FROM EXEC ..., however the INTO keyword isn't allowed in views. There may be some mileage in creating table-valued functions from the stored procedures, but if the stored procedures are parameterised then this will create a whole new set of problems - which you would have to work around anyway.
I'd recommend finding a different tool, one which can cope with stored procedures: failing that I'd recommend rewriting the whole set of sprocs as one or more views.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
mar1jxm
mar1jxm
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)

Here it comes...

SELECT TOP (100) PERCENT *
FROM OPENROWSET('SQLOLEDB', 'Trusted_Connection=Yes;Server=(local);Database=Your_DB', 'exec usp_MySP)
AS derivedtbl_1

Enjoy!:-)

Jacob Milter
ChrisM@Work
ChrisM@Work
SSC-Forever

Sometimes...

Msg 15281, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
SQL Server blocked access to STATEMENT 'OpenRowset/OpenDatasource'

mar1jxm
mar1jxm
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)SSC Veteran (250 reputation)

Chris,

Thanks!... but it works... If not, please use http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2008/01/02/sql-server-fix-error-15281-sql-server-blocked-access-to-statement-openrowsetopendatasource-of-component-ad-hoc-distributed-queries-because-this-component-is-turned-off-as-part-of-the-se/

Jacob

Jacob Milter
ChrisM@Work
ChrisM@Work
SSC-Forever

Hi Jacob

Sure it will work - I think you can use the same trick to get NEWID() into a function. Many sites however don't allow it (openrowset, linked servers etc).

Cheers

ChrisM

mar1jxm
mar1jxm
SSC Veteran

Chris,

Got it! :-P
At least he will have a possible solution!

Thanks!

Jacob Milter
Raghunath Garlapati
Raghunath Garlapati
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi All,

Thank you very much for above solution , Iam actually waiting for that ..... I will try that immediately.

Once again thank you for your solution

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.