SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Database defintion from an Excel Spec?

Database defintion from an Excel Spec?

Author
ian.hadlington
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)SSC Journeyman (78 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Database defintion from an Excel Spec?
katesl
katesl
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (289 reputation)SSC Veteran (289 reputation)SSC Veteran (289 reputation)SSC Veteran (289 reputation)SSC Veteran (289 reputation)SSC Veteran (289 reputation)SSC Veteran (289 reputation)SSC Veteran (289 reputation)

I know the big vendors want to hold programmers captive in their IDEs (studios) but I'll never give up the programmer's editor that I use -- Epsilon. Using Epsilon macros and its regular expression search-and-replace, it's so easy to make scripts from text and to clean huge datasets.

Samuel Vella
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Nice article but why do you say you will never need to use this again?

I've been using Excel to design tables for a few years, table designs can then easily be shared with the rest of the team, comments can be added and changes easily made. Its also fairly easy to lift the data from Excel and drop it into Word for the design documentation.

Once the design is final its a quick job to build the create table/index/foreign key scripts as your article details.
P Jones
P Jones
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

When the software is a major application designed and tested by a third party, that third party is required to install it on our servers and prove it working before it can be signed off (and they get paid).
No way would I get into that awful situation in the first place but well done for finding a solution.
Neuro
Neuro
Old Hand
Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)

Nice Spreadsheet, in my job , I Tend to get the Data in the Tables rather the the Spec's , it is up to me/the team to decide the specifications

Eventually , as I seemed to be doing it on a daily basis I ended up writing some VBA which Analyzed all the Data in the Columns and then built the Tables around the information , this tended to save me much more time. I haven't used it since I upgrade to Excel 2007 and Therefore I have not updated the Context menu's that let me execute this

But at some point I'll do that and put up Post for it

There is usually some minor alterations , like setting Keys and and Adding a couple of Columns , but most of the leg work is done so its just tweaks

Bill Preachuk
Bill Preachuk
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)SSC Rookie (45 reputation)

In the old version of Kimball's Data Warehouse Toolkit" book there is an excel spreadsheet that can be used to design databases and create/execute DDL. That goes back to 1997 and I recall it's pretty good.

Just a thought...
dcawvive
dcawvive
Old Hand
Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)

That's a good workaround but there are modeling tools available that will build a database, logical and physical models from a spreadsheet. Then again, some of the contractors I have dealt with would gladly bill 80 hours to type in table definitions. Why would you deal with a vendor that wouldn't supply a build script? Did the person that purchased this product factor in the additional 10K in cost just to begin to set up the program?
Neuro
Neuro
Old Hand
Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)Old Hand (331 reputation)

you mean I could get 10k just for writing a script ... right im on that Smile

Samuel Vella
Samuel Vella
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

With some vendors, once you get past the shiney sales patter and have been convinced into signing on the dotted line, can be very obstructive.
Samuel Vella
Samuel Vella
Ten Centuries

hickymanz (11/12/2009)
you mean I could get 10k just for writing a script ... right im on that Smile

Unfortunately only the big consultancies can get away with charging £1000 per day for consultants.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.