SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Index Management

Index Management

Author
SQLCrazy
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have been working through this article and have found very instructional and also useful. I have not noticed anyone having problems with proc_InsertMostUsedIndexes. I am stuck. Whenever I run it I get the following error:

Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Procedure proc_InsertMostUsedIndexes, Line 12
Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= or when the subquery is used as an expression.

I am at a deadend so if anyone could give me any help it would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

Post #861979
pnewhart
pnewhart
Old Hand
Old Hand (369 reputation)Old Hand (369 reputation)Old Hand (369 reputation)Old Hand (369 reputation)Old Hand (369 reputation)Old Hand (369 reputation)Old Hand (369 reputation)Old Hand (369 reputation)

I haven't reviewed this article in a while. Is the original article updated with all of the changes mentioned in this discussion?

matthew-550133
matthew-550133
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

It doesn't look like it has been updated...

SQLFrenzy - can you update the original article with the fixed code please?

Thanks much :-)
Ahmad Osama
Ahmad Osama
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

am working on automating this across all servers and databases. It may take some time.

Regards,
Sqlfrenzy
Sean Woehrle
Sean Woehrle
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (139 reputation)

Hey SQLFrenzy, great work.

We all should expect articles to be a good starting point and not a perfect solution. Your thought process is sound to me.

Sean

Cheers,

Sean :-D

alexms_2001
alexms_2001
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Good dtuff, thank you, but I was getting "division by zero" so I wrapped relevant code of proc_FilltblIndexUsageInfo in a CASE:

CASE WHEN dbo.Uf_GetindexSize(si.index_id, so.object_id) != 0 THEN
CAST((user_seeks + user_scans + user_lookups + user_updates)
/ dbo.Uf_GetindexSize(si.index_id, so.object_id) AS DECIMAL(10,2))
ELSE 0 END AS IndexUsagetoSizeRatio
Daryl AZ
Daryl AZ
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (558 reputation)

Nice article SqlFrenzy!!

I had an in-database index sproc but I like the additional functionality of needed and unused indexes.

I am updating the code to run from a Maintenance type database and to run for a specific database. The independent database allows me to update indexes for third party apps and Share Point databases. I am a bit leery of the automatic drop and create of indexes but that looks like a scheduled job on the weekends.

THANKS!
Daryl
James Stephens
James Stephens
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)

A couple of comments:

1. I appreciate the offer of these utilities and the benefit of the work put into this.
2. However, I get the "Subquery returned more than 1 value. This is not permitted when the subquery follows =, !=, <, <= , >, >= ..."
3. The code appears to be written in a form to purposefully obfuscate it's meaning.
4. If the forum software could make the "code windows" on the site more "copy/paste friendly" that would also be a great help--when I copy/paste it spits everything out in one huge line and seems to strip whitespace, linefeeds, etc, so I have to spend tedious time finding the linebreaks, etc.

5. I don't mean to "look a gift horse in the mouth" but I would greatly appreciate it if an updated version could be posted--without the errors, etc.
6. Bottom line--this does not work at all--and again--I appreciate free code but if it doesn't work it actually costs me time trying to get it to work so it's not free anymore.

7. If I'm out of line, please let me know. I just can't get this bit of code to work when I copy it as posted.

Thank you.
sjimmo
sjimmo
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

This is a great article, and well thought out. I have been in the process of writing something that I can use here - but not to this extent.

I am going to implement it to a point and run tests.

I am unwilling to automatically drop or create indexes, but will use it to a point. I would, as some have said here, want to evaluate the data which is conveniently stored in a table and decide. But, to me, the theory is sound. I look forward to following this thread further.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
wchaster
wchaster
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (119 reputation)

Not sure what your pasting into Grasshopper, code block I copy, pastes well formed for me in NOTEPAD, NOTEPAD2 and into a query pane.

:-D
ACN is the world's largest direct seller of telecommunications and essential services.
http://helpu.acndirect.com/
ACN Digital Phone Service customers automatically enjoy unlimited calling to 60 landline
destinations around the world, including India, Mexico and the UK!
Hehe
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.