SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Effective Dating Series Part I - The Problem

Effective Dating Series Part I - The Problem

Author
Sam Bendayan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (157 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Effective Dating Series Part I - The Problem
maurosalvai
maurosalvai
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)SSC Rookie (39 reputation)

Hi.
I read the very interesting Article. But i have a little question... Why don't we implement the 2 dates into the promotion table instep off the promoted products? In this way we could not replicate the same dates for every product...

It could be a good idea or not? And if not, could you explain me the reason?

Thank you very much

Bye
Mauro
Stephen Byrne
Stephen Byrne
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)

I'm inclined to agree with Mauro - to me it makes more sense to have the Promotion start and end date in the Promotions table, not the PromotedProducts table.

That then leaves the PP table design in a simpler state when you're asked to implement multiple pricings on the same product (i.e Buy 2 get 1 free OR Buy 6 get 4 free. Marketing departments do come up with this insanity!) which DO belong in the PP table.

This would also make your reporting easier, I think.

Well written article though, very easy to read and 100% clear in its delivery.
Richard Gardner-291039
Richard Gardner-291039
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Why not just have a mathematical price modifier attached to the promotions table rather than a promotion price - that way you can apply a promotion to a group of products without having to set up a load of new prices, this makes applying and unapplying promotions a hell of a lot easier regardless of whether you're using an expiry date or not.
robertm
robertm
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)SSC-Addicted (462 reputation)

Arguably you could have the start/end dates at both levels! It really depends on the strategy you organisation takes. You might decide to have a particular promotion running for a finite period and then subsequently change the products that are included in that promotion. As you said Stephen, marketing departments come up with the most outlandish strategies some times.

I've been using temporal database design for a few years no and there's no question that it makes life easier down the track. I picked it up from a book 'The Data Model Resource Book' by Len Silverston which is well worth a read for any budding data modelers.

Stephen Byrne
Stephen Byrne
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)SSC Journeyman (92 reputation)

For sure, Temporal design can save many many headaches down the line.

A system I recently worked on had a very nice facility in addition to temporal data attached to the promotions and that was the ability to define how the pricing was done during the promotion- either a simple price change, a list of volume discounts, or a mathematical function.
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Good Article- seems like a pretty simple concept, have used it many times in the past.
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)SSC Guru (94K reputation)

When I've done this before, I've kept the dates in the promotions table. I called it a "PricingScheme" table, since it included other things that just special promotions, but it's the same concept.

I have to mention that seeing the title of this article made me wonder if SSC had changed into a different type of website overnight. ;-)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
ddunn-1115368
ddunn-1115368
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)Grasshopper (24 reputation)

Great aticle! I've been trying to get this concept across to the developers of an accounting package that I work with. Managing changes in price lists (never mind promotional items) can be a bear. This process would simplify so many things for the end users. Being able to import "next week's price list" would be a great feature.

I would also consider using the date associated with the document header to locate these promo items instead of a system date. There will be cases where you have to back date a transaction and using the document's date vs. the system date will allow that.
Garry Morris
Garry Morris
Valued Member
Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)

Agreed with RobertM, there is a place for dates in both tables depending on the business strategy. Imagine if you had the same promotion with a rolling list of products to be discounted (e.g. the "Two for One" promotion that lasts all summer long, but which features a new/different product every week).

As to the person wondering about discount rates, there are pros and cons to that. The pro, as mentioned, is not maintaining a separate list of hard prices. The immediately obvious con is figuring out later, say 6-mos down the road, when products prices' may have changed, just how much that product cost under that promotion.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.