Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SELECT * versus SELECT 1 when using EXISTS

SELECT * versus SELECT 1 when using EXISTS

Author
mikedotnet2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
When using EXISTS is there a difference when using EXISTS (SELECT 1...) OR EXISTS(SELECT *...). I've seen differing opinions on this.

For example this was an argument for using "SELECT 1" or a constant: http://books.google.com/books?id=lBdTTXpVc3wC&pg=PA247&lpg=PA247&dq=SQL+SERVER+EXISTS+SELECT+*+VERSUS+SELECT+1&source=bl&ots=sbwNZKcDTX&sig=9e8iCswWhkIb9WFOaqcXJtDcXfY&hl=en&ei=L5qqSvOQL9CYlAeT6KncBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4#v=onepage&q=&f=false

While I've seen posts on other forums where people have said that it doesn't matter,
because the SELECT list is ignore when coupled with EXISTS.

My apologies. Found a similar post that argues this very topic on the forum.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic453737-338-1.aspx?Highlight=EXISTS
Adam Angelini
Adam Angelini
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I've seen arguments both ways, but I always recommend trying both solutions yourself, checking query plans, and deciding which is better in your situation. I suspect both will produce the same plan, but it's always best to test it out.
Marcin Gol
Marcin Gol
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)

in case of exists/no exsits - it is the only place where you can use star without loosing performance and maitainability
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

I agree. I also agree with very specifically with what Adam said. Even if the pros say something, you should always test it yourself. The reason is that a lot of folks also believe in certain myths and end up posting what they've heard rather than what they've tested.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Marcin Gol
Marcin Gol
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (154 reputation)

Jeff - so in your opinion using star in exists/no exists queries is bad? (or something more then a bad habit?)
Garadin
Garadin
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

I think he was just advocating testing things yourself and not always taking other people's word for it, not taking a side on this issue in particular. IIRC, 1 and * do exactly the same thing in exists because exists doesn't actually return data, it merely verifies the existence of a row matching criteria, so your select is more or less ignored.

Guess I should test it myself to verify that though Hehe.

Seth Phelabaum
Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. ;-)

Links: How to Post Sample Data :: Running Totals :: Tally Table :: Cross Tabs/Pivots :: String Concatenation
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Marcin Gol [SQL Server MVP] (9/11/2009)
in case of exists/no exsits - it is the only place where you can use star without loosing performance and maitainability

...COUNT(*) versus COUNT(1) is the other example.

Star versus constant or NULL - it makes no difference in modern SQL Engines. DB2 and Oracle had a preference for indexes columns and constants respectively way way way back in the day, but no longer.

I don't expect anyone to take my word for it though. * shrug *

Some people prefer not to use SELECT * since it makes searching for dumb uses of the construct harder.
Some people prefer SELECT * because it mirrors the COUNT(*) idea.
Some people prefer SELECT * because SELECT [constant] is so arbitrary.

I like star.

I find COUNT(1) particularly amusing since the XML query plan still shows the operation as "count_star" :-D
...EXISTS (SELECT NULL seems confused to me.
...EXISTS (SELECT 42.9853 seems peculiar, but equivalent to using 1 or 0 or whatever.

Paul

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Garadin (9/12/2009)
I think he was just advocating testing things yourself and not always taking other people's word for it, not taking a side on this issue in particular. IIRC, 1 and * do exactly the same thing in exists because exists doesn't actually return data, it merely verifies the existence of a row matching criteria, so your select is more or less ignored.

Guess I should test it myself to verify that though Hehe.

Correct... not advocating either method (mostly because it doesn't make a difference in performance) but am advocating that people actually test for themselves and find out.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
mikedotnet2
mikedotnet2
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Thanks for the replys. I agree that checking it out myself is always the best route, and I generally don't take someones word (especially on the internet) at face value without verifying it myself.

That being said, I had no idea how to verify this statement from the link above: "However, from an 'internal' standpoint, SELECT * causes the SQL engine to check the data dictionary unnecessarily" and for this reason it seems the author was advocating the use of a constant instead of SELECT *.

How would you test this? Would something like this show in an execution plan?
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Dude, it's a myth. Metadata is never checked for COUNT(*) or EXISTS(SELECT *...a quick Google will provide you with testimony to that fact from Itsik Ben-Gan, Erland Sommarskog, Joe Celko...anyone you happen to believe in :-)

There is no difference between the star syntax and the constant-value syntax. None, aside from the spelling!

Paul

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.