SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How To Get Table Row Counts Quickly And Painlessly

How To Get Table Row Counts Quickly And Painlessly

Author
Paul White
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
bijayanix24 (2/9/2010)

'Team Mindfire' might like to read the other comments in this discussion. Much better solutions exist.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
gulam.husain.ansari
gulam.husain.ansari
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

Can anyone one told me what will be the shortest and fastest way of find the
count of table data

i am using

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM TblEmployee -- i want only count not else

what can i do for that
srikant maurya
srikant maurya
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

U can Use below sql query to count the record from any user table
select rows
from sys.sysindexes
where id = object_id('Table_Name')
and indid < 2
Madhivanan-208264
Madhivanan-208264
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)SSChasing Mays (633 reputation)

If you use versions prior to 2005, you need to use dbcc updateusage to get accurate count
http://beyondrelational.com/blogs/madhivanan/archive/2007/11/02/different-ways-to-count-rows-from-a-table.aspx

Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail
Jason-299789
Jason-299789
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Since SQL 2005 I've tended to use Sys.Partitions over a Select Count(*), especially when I need to get row numbers across all tables in a specified DB and also across numerous DB's.

However, in future I will be adding the code to Update Stats prior to running the process, just to be sure the counts are as acurate as possible, may be with a 10-20 second delay.

My question is, would the Recovery Model for the DB impact the accuracy of the sys.Partitions and sys.dm_db_partition_stats views?

TIA.

Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

rja.carnegie (9/2/2009)
I find the report of DBCC CHECKDB useful.

Why doesn't "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table" look at an index, which apparently it doesn't(?)

For 'select count(*) from [table]' the 2008 optimiser will scan the PK of the table if it has one. Not as good as (some of) the DMV queries, but not as bad as a full table scan.
padmanabanmsc
padmanabanmsc
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Intresting post but not so much useful. Most of the time we need to know the count agaist with some filtered criteria. For me, I never come across the requirment like, show the count of table.
Anyway, good to know the way if required to get the total count of table.
DJLondonCA
DJLondonCA
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I agree. I too am curious under what circumstances it would be useful to know the row-count from all tables.

Also under what circumstances is it useful to use 6 or 7 lines of query versus a single SELECT statement.

As a peek into the guts of the SQL Server system and thinking behind it, this is fascinating, but seems it would rarely be of use.
Pat Reddy
Pat Reddy
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

I agree with previous posters that this seems like a good way to find row counts for all tables in a database, but not a very good (easy, efficient, etc...) alternative to COUNT(*) on a single table within a query. I created the following proc and tested with my largest tables - hundreds of millions of rows with a non-sequential GUID pk and the results were generally 1 sec for COUNT(*) and 0 sec for the proc. Considering how I use COUNT(*) in my logic (and it is rarely used), it doesn't seem worth it - merely a nifty way to complicate things.

CREATE PROC spUtil_GetRowCount
(
@TableName VARCHAR(200)
)
AS

SELECT
ddps.row_count
FROM
sys.indexes i
INNER JOIN sys.objects o
ON i.OBJECT_ID = o.OBJECT_ID
INNER JOIN sys.dm_db_partition_stats ddps
ON i.OBJECT_ID = ddps.OBJECT_ID
AND i.index_id = ddps.index_id
WHERE
i.index_id < 2
AND o.is_ms_shipped = 0
AND o.name = @TableName
Wanderlei Santos
Wanderlei Santos
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Nice article, but for SQL 2005 / 8 / r2, I just right-click and run the table usage report from sms. It also gives space used/free.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.