SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SUBSTRING

SUBSTRING

Author
kevin.l.williams
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SUBSTRING

kevin.l.williams
kevin.l.williams
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Another article that describes this in more detail.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310421

-Kevin Williams

Michael Poppers
Michael Poppers
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Explanation: The string returned by SUBSTRING is truncated if Start + Length -1 is greater than the length of the Expression string.

I think Mr. Williams meant to say "less than" rather than "greater than."
kevin.l.williams
kevin.l.williams
Hall of Fame

Michael Poppers (7/10/2009)
Explanation: The string returned by SUBSTRING is truncated if Start + Length -1 is greater than the length of the Expression string.

I think Mr. Williams meant to say "less than" rather than "greater than."

Sad My first question and I botched the Explanation. Oh well.

sknox
sknox
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Interestingly enough, the MSDN documentation linked to from the answer incorrectly states:

"In this case, the number of characters that are returned is the largest value of either the sum of start_expression and length_expression or 0."

while the knowledgebase article correctly states:

"In cases where the starting position is less than one, the ANSI specified behavior is to return a number of characters equal to the starting position plus length minus 1 (emphasis mine), starting at character position one."

I've commented on the MSDN documentation; hopefully they will correct it soon.
hakan.winther
hakan.winther
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

[quote]sknox (7/10/2009)
Interestingly enough, the MSDN documentation linked to from the answer incorrectly states:

"In this case, the number of characters that are returned is the largest value of either the sum of start_expression and length_expression or 0."
quote]

Yes the MSDN documentation is incorrect but SQL engine is following the ANSI standard, thankfully, but it is confusing with incorrect documentation Smile

/Håkan Winther
MCITPBigGrinatabase Developer 2008
MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
MCSE: Data Platform
SQAPro
SQAPro
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)

AH so the explanation currently given, given, while probably a valid fact (the return would be truncated in that instance) has nothing to do with the behavior we are seeing, which is caused instead by the ANSI standards having to do with using a starting position that is less than one.

Doing something like SELECT SUBSTRING('123456', 2, 8) would invoke the truncation based on Start + Length-1 is > (length of expression). Understandably in that case you are not going to get back 8 characters, even though you said that is what you want, because it's not there to return to you. (I presume the alternative to truncating would be something like padding out with spaces? who knows.)
dawoodalgharib
dawoodalgharib
Valued Member
Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)Valued Member (61 reputation)

I think that the definition of SUBSTRING statement contains: "If start_expression is less than 1, the returned expression will begin at the first character that is specifed in value_expression".
So I think this definition meant that:
SELECT * SUBSTRING('123456',0,3) should return 123.
SQAPro
SQAPro
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)SSC Veteran (220 reputation)

dawoodalgharib (7/11/2009)
I think that the definition of SUBSTRING statement contains: "If start_expression is less than 1, the returned expression will begin at the first character that is specifed in value_expression".
So I think this definition meant that:
SELECT * SUBSTRING('123456',0,3) should return 123.

Except that (see KB article linked in one of the earliest posts above) there isn an ANSI standard that SQL is conforming to that says if the start position is <1 then return the specified length -1 So yes it's starting at position 1, but it's also adjusting the length.

so the docs for that defintion of substring need to be updated, to reflect that additional info (as also mentioned above) since clearly the function is behaving as described in the KB, not as one might expect from reading the docs alone.
vsumskoy-644542
vsumskoy-644542
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

I have big doubt that anybody can predict (theoretically, without running) the results of the following requests: :-)

SELECT SUBSTRING('123456', -7998, 8000 )
SELECT SUBSTRING('123456', -7998, 8001 )

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.