SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL 2008 SSMS Server Management Studio crashes all the time since last week.

SQL 2008 SSMS Server Management Studio crashes all the time since last week.

Author
Alan Levin
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
SQL 2008 Express Server Management Studio SSMS crashes all the time with the following message:

SSMS - SQL Server Management Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

What can I do??? Please Help! Is this a .NET Framework issue??!! How can I get more on this error??

Thanks so much!!!
Chand00
Chand00
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (774 reputation)Right there with Babe (774 reputation)Right there with Babe (774 reputation)Right there with Babe (774 reputation)Right there with Babe (774 reputation)Right there with Babe (774 reputation)Right there with Babe (774 reputation)Right there with Babe (774 reputation)

Hi,

Check out the eventviewer it will give more info on the error. start->run->eventvwr

Thanks
Chandra Mohan N

Thanks
Chandra Mohan

Alan Levin
Alan Levin
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

Hi Chandra:

Thanks so much! The event viewer gave me a big clue.

The error I get is:

.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting.

Do I need to reinstall .NET Runtime 2.0?

Thanks again!
Alan
Alan Levin
Alan Levin
SSC Rookie

Hi Chandra and all who have this problem:

I found a sort of solution that works!

The error is really in the msenv.dll. I had an older version that I replaced with a newer one in my Program Files\Microsoft SQL SERVER\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE directory. My problem msenv.dll was dated 4/28/2008. I replaced it with one dated 7/30/2008.

The only issue is when SSMS comes up, it shows none of my databases. I had to reattach them and give them new names.

This is definitely a SQL SSMS bug.

If any of you have this problem, I would be happy to elaborate further. I'll check this forum quite often.

All the Best,
Alan
rlondon
rlondon
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)

Where do you get a newer msenv.dll file, and does this solution work for SQL Server 2005?
Alan Levin
Alan Levin
SSC Rookie

I did a search of all my hard drives for the file msenv.dll. I found 2 different versions. One dated 4/2008 and the other (the correct one) dated 7 28/2008 (1 forget the exact day but the month was 7).

Use that newer dll and let me know if you find it or have problems.

Good Luck!
Alan Levin
Alan Levin
SSC Rookie

Newer msenv.dll has date of 7/28/2008/

Not sure if this will work for SQL 2005.

Good luck again!
rlondon
rlondon
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)

I found a newer version on my machine and replaced my old file. SSMS comes up fine so far. Hopefully it will fix my problem too. Thanks for the help.:-)
Alan Levin
Alan Levin
SSC Rookie

Awesome! Take care and all the best!
qiw1972
qiw1972
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Alan,
I had the same problem, your solution works!
Thanks much!
:-D:-D:-D

QQ
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.