Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Access

Access

Author
VM-723206
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)Say Hey Kid (662 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Access
Mighty
Mighty
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Maybe it's just me, but I read the question differently, looking for the SQL Server data type to match the MS Access data type. Might be that my English is not good enough...
craigpessano
craigpessano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

Michael Kipp (6/25/2009)
Maybe it's just me, but I read the question differently, looking for the SQL Server data type to match the MS Access data type. Might be that my English is not good enough...

It's not just you... I read it the same way and as a result answered nvarchar.

Richard Driscoll
Richard Driscoll
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA012314471033.aspx
dmbaker
dmbaker
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (575 reputation)

Gawd, I feel awful for actually knowing the answer. Sick

Irish Flyer
Irish Flyer
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Who cares?? What does Access have to do with REAL databases?
LostAccount
LostAccount
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

I missed this also because I read the question. It says "What is the equivalent of 'text' data type in MS Access?"

Although the majority are getting it "correct" I also read it to mean the other direction. The question should have been worded something like "What is the MS Access equivalent to the SQL data type 'text'?"
Mighty
Mighty
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

Irish Flyer (6/25/2009)
Who cares?? What does Access have to do with REAL databases?

Not too much, so in that respect the question of matching a MS Access data type to a SQL Server data type makes even more sense, since that knowledge is needed when migrating those datatbases to real ones...:-D
Andrew Watson-478275
Andrew Watson-478275
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I'm with David on this one. The question as written is totally ambiguous, and nvarchar or memo are equally valid answers, depending on how you parse the question.
jritson
jritson
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)SSC Eights! (863 reputation)

I did even worse, I went into Access, opened the design of a table, saw that my character type fields are formatted "text" so opted for "text."

I have to admit though, it was worth it. I now have a much better understanding of the difference between text and varchar in SQL and memo and text in Access.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.