Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database

9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database

Author
Sylvia Moestl Vasilik
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item 9 Things to Do When You Inherit a Database
P Jones
P Jones
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (806 reputation)SSC Eights! (806 reputation)SSC Eights! (806 reputation)SSC Eights! (806 reputation)SSC Eights! (806 reputation)SSC Eights! (806 reputation)SSC Eights! (806 reputation)SSC Eights! (806 reputation)

Run the performance dashboard reports and have a look at long running queries and missing indexes.
John Gregory-458324
John Gregory-458324
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

This is a good check-list - thanks very much.

It sounded like you suggested deliberately causing a problem to get buy-in from your users (...sending out hundreds of thousands of emails). Perhaps I misunderstood this bit. Abusing trust is never a good long-term strategy.

Thanks

J
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Most of this looks pretty good but this could be a recipe for disaster:

"Drop obsolete objects"

It's sometimes not straightforward how and when objects are used. before dropping something you need to be sure it's really not used.

It's quite possible you could drop a sproc or table thats only used periodically (once a month or once a quarter). This could create major problems for you a few months out!

Just my 02c... ;-)

Mark
Michael Garstin-341427
Michael Garstin-341427
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

I am stunned that the list does not include "Run CHECKDB" (or at least find out when it last ran).

The free but unsupported RML Utilities released by the Microsoft SQL Server PSS engineers can be used to analyze a Profiler trace. That can tell you what is running and how often.

This would be a good spot to plug Red-Gate's SQL Doc tool (no, I'm not a RG employee!). This might not be free but it is a good way to acquaint yourself with a new database.
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

1) I agree with Mark about Drop obsolete objects. It is virtually impossible to find and properly scan all code that might run against any given database that might access a particular object. Just don't go there.

2) I fire up ApexSQL Doc first thing and get it going creating a full blow set of documentation about the database.

3) I check quite a few configuration options such as statistics settings, auto-close/auto-shrink, recovery mode, growth increments, etc.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
stevecurtis3
stevecurtis3
Old Hand
Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)

We never delete anything in one go!!! What we do is change its name by prefixing XXX to its name, and then later delete all the XXX's. As we run a weekly system, we can delete the XXX's for most of our system after a fortnight. For the monthly and quarterly bits, we just wait a bit longer!!!

Rgds,

Steve
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.4K reputation)

stevecurtis3 (6/22/2009)
We never delete anything in one go!!! What we do is change its name by prefixing XXX to its name, and then later delete all the XXX's. As we run a weekly system, we can delete the XXX's for most of our system after a fortnight. For the monthly and quarterly bits, we just wait a bit longer!!!

Rgds,

Steve

But how can you know that object A is a daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly/etc object? If this is a database you have no prior knowledge of (heck, even if it is) you run a significant risk IMNSHO.

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
rperry
rperry
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

I like this article a lot...just the right number of topics to get someone started on a newly inherited database (or even someone new to DBA work themselves).

In line with other posters who remark about what's missing from the list, I would suggest they post their own "new DB to-do" lists so everyone can get a diverse view of this topic. Also, I'm putting together my own list called "Things to Do When You Inherit Replication"....which brings with it some very specific needs.
mzak
mzak
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)Grasshopper (22 reputation)

Great list. I would throw in "review security privileges"
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.