SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Row-by-Row comparison

Row-by-Row comparison

Author
rvkhadava
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have two tables, stg,main with the same structure.Each day data is refeshed into stg from the flat file. And from there into main.Before the main table is loaded,I need to validate if the data in all the columns of the row is matching.The main challenge is I have 100 columns in these tables. Can any one recommend me of a optimal solution to compare data across the tables ?The bottom line is I should not create duplicate rows into the main table.

Thanks in Advance.
Mark Cowne
Mark Cowne
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)

Suggest you look at EXCEPT (and maybe INTERSECT) in BOL

Deja View - The strange feeling that somewhere, sometime you've optimised this query before

How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

Mayank Khatri
Mayank Khatri
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

search google on TableDiff utility, it comes with SQL 2005 installation used for table comparisons just for the kind of task u r looking for.
rvkhadava
rvkhadava
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)

Sincere Thanks for coming up with your suggestions.At this point I have tried out Except operator and this seems to be working reasonably well for me.
SQLQuest29
SQLQuest29
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

rvkhadava (6/5/2009)
I have two tables, stg,main with the same structure.Each day data is refeshed into stg from the flat file. And from there into main.Before the main table is loaded,I need to validate if the data in all the columns of the row is matching.The main challenge is I have 100 columns in these tables. Can any one recommend me of a optimal solution to compare data across the tables ?The bottom line is I should not create duplicate rows into the main table.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi,

I have implemented the same task using SSIS and it works like a charm. I have used lookup table task in SSIS.

http://www.sqlis.com/post/Get-all-from-Table-A-that-isnt-in-Table-B.aspx ===> use method 2, it works for me.

Hope this helps,

\\K
[http://sqlquest.blogspot.com/]

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
HTH !
Kin
MCTS : 2005, 2008
Active SQL Server Community Contributor :-)
Gary Stacey
Gary Stacey
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)

Hi,

Looking for a method of comparing rows in the same table, I ran across this thread. I thought I would add my 2p to the debate:

SET @result = 0

IF EXISTS (SELECT EX.DocumentID FROM
(SELECT DocumentID, DocTitle, SortLetter, SortNumber FROM
PMProcessProcedures WHERE PMProcessID = @ID
EXCEPT
SELECT DocumentID, DocTitle, SortLetter, SortNumber FROM
PMProcessProcedures WHERE PMProcessID = @Approved) EX)

SET @result = 1

This will set @result if the two rows are different.

Hope this helps someone...
Sheraz.Mirza
Sheraz.Mirza
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)SSC Veteran (222 reputation)

Here is your Solution

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/Table+Data+Comparison/141216/

get the SQL Statement after running procedure and then change EXISTS with NOT EXISTS and you all done.

Sheraz Mirza:Hehe
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (95K reputation)SSC Guru (95K reputation)SSC Guru (95K reputation)SSC Guru (95K reputation)SSC Guru (95K reputation)SSC Guru (95K reputation)SSC Guru (95K reputation)SSC Guru (95K reputation)

Just an FYI, this is 6 year old thread.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.