SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Moving Database Files Detach/Attach or ALTER DATABASE?

Moving Database Files Detach/Attach or ALTER DATABASE?

Author
Jonathan Kehayias
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Moving Database Files Detach/Attach or ALTER DATABASE?

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs
Lasse Schioettz
Lasse Schioettz
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (557 reputation)

Hey Jonathan,

Good article. A couple of minor things to mention, though. To detach the database you use "sp_detach_db" - not "sp_attach_db". It may also be worth noting that the physical_name you look up in the master db is the current file path and the FILENAME argument to the ALTER DATABASE MODIFY FILE is the path to the new location.

Sincerely,
Lasse
gabriele.valerio
gabriele.valerio
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Hi Jonathan,

it seems to me that another problem with detach/attach is that you potentially lose the original db owner. If I am right this is another good reason to use ALTER DATABASE.

Regards,
Gabriele Valerio
dmajkic
dmajkic
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)SSC Rookie (47 reputation)

If sp_attach_db is to be deprecated, what is "the new" way to just attach a database?

BTW:

Is it possible to add a few xp calls to do file copy on server, and make moving automatic?
Brian Munier
Brian Munier
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Interesting article, thank you. My question is if detach/attach is going away, and I want to move a database from one server to another server does that mean I now have to use backup/restore which can be slower and require more effort to work?
sejal p gudhka
sejal p gudhka
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)SSC Eights! (892 reputation)

Hi All,

One more thing to add to this is that if you want to move TEMPDB database to different location, Alter DAtabase is only option you have.
You need to restart SQL Server services in order for it to affect.
Jonathan Kehayias
Jonathan Kehayias
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

dmajkic (5/27/2009)
If sp_attach_db is to be deprecated, what is "the new" way to just attach a database?

BTW:

Is it possible to add a few xp calls to do file copy on server, and make moving automatic?

This is covered in the BOL reference quoted in the article:

This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using this feature in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use this feature. We recommend that you use CREATE DATABASE database_name FOR ATTACH instead. For more information, see CREATE DATABASE (Transact-SQL).

You could do xp calls to copy the files, you want to open xp_cmdshell up on your server which is a security risk, that is why it is disabled by default. I don't recommend that you do it, and I wouldn't do it myself personally.

Jonathan Kehayias
Jonathan Kehayias
SSChampion

Lasse Schioettz (5/27/2009)
Hey Jonathan,

Good article. A couple of minor things to mention, though. To detach the database you use "sp_detach_db" - not "sp_attach_db". It may also be worth noting that the physical_name you look up in the master db is the current file path and the FILENAME argument to the ALTER DATABASE MODIFY FILE is the path to the new location.

Sincerely,
Lasse

Thanks, bad copy/paste when I was working on this. I'll submit a correction to Steve for that.

The physical_name is not necessarily the current file path. It is the location that SQL will look for the file at startup. If you issue an ALTER DATABASE MODIFY FILE, and then pull the physical_name it will reflect the changes, even if the database hasn't been taken offline, and the files haven't been moved yet.

Jonathan Kehayias
Jonathan Kehayias
SSChampion

Brian Munier (5/27/2009)
Interesting article, thank you. My question is if detach/attach is going away, and I want to move a database from one server to another server does that mean I now have to use backup/restore which can be slower and require more effort to work?

You should use CREATE DATABASE [databasename] FOR ATTACH as shown in the quote from the Books Online. This has a much more verbose syntax and allows for the options needed to be configured while the database is created to include, who the owner should be, one of the other problems listed in the comments here.

Gethyn Ellis
Gethyn Ellis
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Have i missed a trick here? I understand that the old way to attach a database is be depreciated, But is SP_Detach_DB bein decreciated too? or will that remain?

Gethyn Ellisgethynellis.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.