Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) SQL Server 2008

Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) SQL Server 2008

Author
Roy Ernest
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) SQL Server 2008

-Roy
James Stover
James Stover
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)SSC Veteran (279 reputation)

Thanks for the article Roy. It's concise, interesting, informative and well-written. 5 stars for you!

James Stover, McDBA

Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Excellent article Roy. We are just now starting to look at the possibility of moving to SQL Server 2008. Turns out in the next tools release of PeopleSoft that SQL Server 2008 will be supported. I'm not sure about using TDE on our databases, but this does provide some vital info should we move that direction.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Atif-ullah Sheikh
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Very Informative Article. And the most appreciating thing is that the writer have clearly mentioned the pros and cons of the subject with respect to the latest release of SQL Server 2008.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.

You can check my BLOG here

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Excellent Job, Roy! I looked back over this for some checking of the book I'm tech editing.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
JonR76
JonR76
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Excellent article. Quick question, is TDE available in standard edition? or do we need to have the enterprise edition?

Thanks!
Roy Ernest
Roy Ernest
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Thank you all... It is nice to get feedbacks from all of you.. :-)
JRamussen, If I am not mistaken, it is available only in the enterprise edition. I will look it up and let you know.

-Roy
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Great article Roy. Well written and informative.

I was kind of hoping you had a fix to the problem with removing TDE though. :-D

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Roy Ernest
Roy Ernest
SSCrazy

Hahahahaha.... I did some experiment and blew up my test DB... :-D
If you and Microsoft cant fix it, you really think I could do it?? Hehe

-Roy
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

You also performed a service linking to Connect. Hopefully this'll get some more votes.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.