Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Displaying a Pop-up message in SSRS 2005

Displaying a Pop-up message in SSRS 2005

Author
FVC
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I also have it working when running in MS Visual Studio, but once deployed on the reportserver, it failes on the messagebox. I would like to know how to bypass that ...

TEwing
TEwing
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

I've had pretty much the same experience as everyone else here.

Great idea. I got it working in my Visual Studio environment and then when I sent it to the reportserver there was no way to get it working.

Which is too bad really, this would be such a valuable feature for parameter validation w/out having to build a custom aspx page.
Shiva Thomas
Shiva Thomas
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I found that a better alternative is to do the validation on the SQL side. It's very easy to use a sql RAISERROR function to display some meaningful feedback to the user, and you can stop the report execution!

Example:
IF (@intNumber > 55 OR @intNumber < 15)
RAISERROR('Error: Your number must be smaller than 55 and bigger than 15', 16, 0);

Syntax:
RAISERROR (@ErrorMessage, -- Message text.
@ErrorSeverity, -- Severity of >=16 stop the script and the Report execution.
@ErrorState -- State.
);

Attachments
ScreenShot_2010-03-26_001.png (27 views, 14.00 KB)
smansky
smansky
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)

The problem is when you deploy report to web service is not working.

Error during processing of ‘parameter’ report parameter. (rsReportParameterProcessingError)

CryingCryingCryingCrying
smansky
smansky
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (131 reputation)

The problem is when you deploy report to web service is not working.

Error during processing of ‘parameter’ report parameter. (rsReportParameterProcessingError)

CryingCryingCryingCrying
Jason Thomas
Jason Thomas
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)

This method described by Prasanna will not work when you are deploying the reports to the web, and anyways, since the custom code gets executed at the server side, this is of no practical use as the message box will never pop-up when accessed from the client.

Cheers,
Jason
My Blog
nraju1982
nraju1982
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Its working as expected from the IDE. But need to check from report server.
kpsr_kpsr 63487
kpsr_kpsr 63487
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)

Hi i have problem with text box,right when the message box shows message like"U entered 5,r u sure do u want continue"
if i press yes it will display the text box message .right when i press no it should not be render the report,but in my case why it's rendering?

Any idea?
Mr.wOw
Mr.wOw
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

Hi Prasanna,

This does not work neither in IDE...nor on report server...nor on sharepoint integrated mode...

can you explain how did you achieved it....i have done each and every step you have mentioned...

Cheers...
Pulkit
Prasanna, MCTS, MCPD
Prasanna, MCTS, MCPD
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

This was done in SSRS 2005 and I was able to get it working only locally. I didn't realize it was not working once you deploy it. I have not tried this on SSRS 2008 nor in Sharepoint integration.

Thanks

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

always Happy, always Prasanna :-)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.