Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to create user in Oracle 9i

How to create user in Oracle 9i

Author
John-1015474
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi
I am new in Oracle,but i work mainly on sql server 2000 & 2005.I just install the oracle 9i in my system.I want to make an user.so i open the Oracle SQL*plus.and enter in it using the login name as scott and paswword as tiger.
When i used the command "create user vivek identified by vivek;" it shows the following error.
SQL> create user vivek identified by vivek;
create user vivek identified by vivek
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

please tell me how can i create user in it.

Vivek

Nothing Is Impossible
VastSQL
VastSQL
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

First you connect to that particular database using login 'system'
ie conn system\password@DB_Name as sysdba. Then try
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Ratheesh.K.Nair (3/12/2009)
First you connect to that particular database using login 'system'
ie conn system\password@DB_Name as sysdba. Then try
BA

SYS and SYSTEM are Oracle equivalents of "sa" account; you don't want to connect to the database using such powerfull accounts just to create an user.

Ask your Oracle DBA to grant you the privileges or, if you are the DBA just use your DBA account -the one who belongs to the DBA ROLE.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
rlondon
rlondon
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)SSC-Addicted (423 reputation)

The user scott should only be used testing purposes only. Scott has limited priveleges in the database and can not create new users. I agree with the previous posters. If you are the DBA log in with the sys or system acocunt and create a user with appropriate priveleges to perform the functions you need. Also if this is a production environment, delete or disable the scott account as it poses a security issue.
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

The user scott should only be used testing purposes only. Scott has limited priveleges in the database and can not create new users.

I wanted to add that when the thread was without replies but my actual question would be what are you doing with Oracle 9i because most people are now running 10g and 11g both comes without Scott. The Scott account was cancelled in Oracle 10g.

Smile

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
surovezhin-1009986
surovezhin-1009986
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Hi,

You should specify default temporary tablespace for new user.

You can replicate user from one Oracle database to other Oracle database by specifying encoded password.

BR,
Ivan Surovezhin
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

Gift Peddie (3/13/2009)
[quote]... my actual question would be what are you doing with Oracle 9i because most people are now running 10g and 11g

This statement does not reflects reality.

Ora9i + Ora8i are still the most used versions of Oracle.

Ora10g is slowly getting in the Corporate world not to mention they may be just a few Ora11g corporate production environments out there.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

In the US I have not seen 8i or 9i for development since 2006, you may be talking about admin I am talking about development. The reason you cannot use 8i for multi lingual application and you need MSDTC to use 9i for layered .NET transaction application.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
Hall of Fame

Gift Peddie (3/17/2009)
In the US I have not seen 8i or 9i for development since 2006, you may be talking about admin I am talking about development. The reason you cannot use 8i for multi lingual application and you need MSDTC to use 9i for layered .NET transaction application.

Small shop, huh?

Gift Peddie
Gift Peddie
Hall of Fame

PaulB (5/4/2009)
Gift Peddie (3/17/2009)

Small shop, huh?

I am not sure a small shop can develop an Asp.net application running in 18 states in the US.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.