Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Transaction Log Growth, do you need it?

Transaction Log Growth, do you need it?

Author
James_DBA
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transaction Log Growth, do you need it?

~ Without obstacles, you cannot progress ~
http://sqln.blogspot.com/
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

James,
Well done! an excellent article...

Mark
Indianrock
Indianrock
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)

Multiple log files: I thought the recommendation was one log file per cpu, for performance?

HanShi
HanShi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

Indianrock (1/5/2009)
Multiple log files: I thought the recommendation was one log file per cpu, for performance?

That's recommended for the data-files of the TempDB... (also keep them the same size)

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
Indianrock
Indianrock
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)SSC Eights! (852 reputation)

Oh, of course. I made my comment before the coffee was ready, sorry.

DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)

Good article. One thing to add, if running SQL2K5 or later on Windows 2003 or later, enable instance file initialization. Doing this will minimize the impact of growing the log or data file, especially for larger growth settings.

David

Indianrock
Indianrock
SSC Eights!

This article indicates Instant File Initialization is only for data files.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sql/2005/physdbstor.mspx

Instant File Initialization

SQL Server 2005 added support for the Windows instant file initialization feature. By default, when a file is created or grows larger, the pages in that file are initialized by writing zeros before the file gets used. This overwrites any existing data that remains on the disk. Instant initialization is only used for data files (not log files) and is enabled when the account running SQL Server has the Windows SE MANAGE VOLUME NAME privilege, which is available only on Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 or later versions. This occurs in five scenarios:
•   

During file creation
•   

CREATE DATABASE, including tempdb creation at server startup.
•   

RESTORE DATABASE
•   

During file modification
•   

ALTER DATABASE...MODIFY FILE.
•   

Modifications that result in autogrow activity.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Good job, James. A nice explanation that I'll have to remember to run-run periodically.

I thought I heard last year that there's no great benefit to multiple log files, except space management. I wish I had a reference for that now.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
DavidSimpson
DavidSimpson
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)SSC Eights! (978 reputation)

This article indicates Instant File Initialization is only for data files.

That was an oversight on my part, you are correct. To much R&R over the holiday I guess. Hehe

David

James_DBA
James_DBA
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)SSC-Addicted (492 reputation)

Steve, and everyone else...

Thanks for the great compliments!

Yes, as mentioned in my article, there is no performance benefit to multiple log files. It seems the only benefit is file management for disk space and other administrative tasks where you would want the log file in a smaller size (i.e. disk mirroring, or limited hard drive space).

BOL: Adding and Deleting Data and Transaction Log Files (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms191433.aspx), says "SQL Server uses a proportional fill strategy across all the files within each filegroup and writes an amount of data proportional to the free space in the file. This enables the new file to be used immediately. In this way, all files generally become full at about the same time. However, transaction log files cannot be part of a filegroup; they are separate from one another. As the transaction log grows, the first log file fills, then the second, and so on, by using a fill-and-go strategy instead of a proportional fill strategy. Therefore, when a log file is added, it cannot be used by the transaction log until the other files have been filled first."

This is a solid indication that there is no benefit to performance when using multiple transaction log files.

Thanks,
James

~ Without obstacles, you cannot progress ~
http://sqln.blogspot.com/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.