SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using the CheckSum Function - SQL School Video

Using the CheckSum Function - SQL School Video

Author
Brian Knight
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Using the CheckSum Function - SQL School Video

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
sqlagent007
sqlagent007
Valued Member
Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)Valued Member (70 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
this is a good/ dangerous technique. I have implemented this is a production system and got burned by duplicate checksum values on different columns (hash collision). Them more data you can put into the check sum the less likely you will have duplicates. maybe.

But good demo.
Brian Knight
Brian Knight
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Group: Moderators
That's true. There's a slight chance of duplicate checksums. Another technique that I've used is HASHBYTES similar to this:

select HASHBYTES('md5',NAME + isnull(Color,'Unkown')), * FROM Production.Product

It takes longer to run but it produces very unique values like 0x313FB214C93591081E720123253B1398.

Brian Knight
Free SQL Server Training Webinars
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.7K reputation)

Nice one...

patrickpk
patrickpk
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)Grasshopper (17 reputation)

Brian,
That's an excellent tip!
Wee're in the middle of a conversion project for HR & FIN and this will absolutely help.
Great Job!
emmanuel.vanneste
emmanuel.vanneste
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

you should idd use MD5!

using checksum results easily in duplicates , eg
select checksum('eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee')
select checksum('dddddddddddddddd')
jezman
jezman
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)SSC Journeyman (89 reputation)

Agreed, having worked on a system where someone decided to implement checksums to manage change control I know from bitter experience that it will bite you at some point. I think we found numbers that were related in some mathematical way (I forget exactly) would give the same value. But we also had examples of company name strings that gave the same value.

If getting the integrity perfect is important I'd suggest not using this idea. For something that is supposed to be a rare occurrence it happened surprisingly frequently!
anand.ramanan
anand.ramanan
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (109 reputation)

When implementing the HashBytes or CheckSum is it optimal to do these checks manually in the respective update stored procedure, or is it better to be used trigger based? What is the best practice?

My goal is to provide auditing (stored in a separate audit table) in sql server 2005 when a specific piece of data e.g. username or users password is modified, when the enter user row is updated.
Misha_SQL
Misha_SQL
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

First of all kudos to Brian for his videos. I absolutely love them and have learned so much. Secondly I agree with the others regarding the dangers of using CHECKSUM against string values due to the non-uniqueness of the result. I think it's fairly safe to use across several numeric/date columns though. I have never used HASHBYTES before, so this is a great tip as well.

Thank you!

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.