SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Advice for array oflarge arrays

Advice for array oflarge arrays

Author
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It sure does... let's have a race when we're done... CLR vs T-SQL.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

Jeff Moden (11/25/2008)
It sure does... let's have a race when we're done... CLR vs T-SQL.

Unfortunately I can't be the one to code it. Sad I have lots of obligations already for the holiday weekend and then will be out of the country for 2 weeks on a rather intense client visit.

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
Tom Brown
Tom  Brown
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

I've got a bit of spare time these days - I'm doing this Fortran replacement thing between the itty bitty niggley things that crop up.

I've not looked at the CLR yet - I have some C code to write the data, can't be too hard to make it C#
maybe this my big opportunity Wink

lets see ... C# probably stores a double in 8 bytes, assume its the same IEEE format as C (and probably the same as SQL float - or is that too much to ask)
so a 1020 array will be 8160 bytes that can be my CLR custom data type
SQL equivalent can just hold a bit bucket varbinary(8160) per data block.

I'm just thinking aloud here Ermm - I need to go read something about the CLR Doze
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

1) I recommend Professional SQL Server 2005 CLR Programming by WROX

2) SQL 2008 will allow for large CLR types if needed. I didn't review the needs carefully, but I wonder if a structure is best here or a simple array of some flavor.

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
Tom Brown
Tom  Brown
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

w00tw00tw00t
The one by Derek Comingore and Douglas Hinson!

By amazingly stupendous coincidence I have that book - I've had it (unopened Blush ) for over a year now. Thanks for the suggestion - never thought of looking on my bookshelf.

Being a bit of a hack and slay kind of programmer (especially at this time of night) - I'm just skimming it looking for something similar to what I want.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)SSC Guru (218K reputation)

When you get done with your CLR, lemme know...

--Jeff Moden

Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Tom Brown
Tom  Brown
Hall of Fame

It may take me a while. I'm starting from scratch with the CLR.
Tom Brown
Tom  Brown
Hall of Fame

Jeff Moden (11/26/2008)
When you get done with your CLR, lemme know...

Jeff

Tried to PM you - but your PM mailbox is full.

I'm ready with my CLR - in fact I've got T-SQL and CLR versions which both fit the bill - I've written it all up as a word doc - its around 10 pages (mostly code) - I don't want to post this on the forum yet - would you be willing to take a look at the document?
If so PM me with a way to get it to you.

Thanks
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru

Click on my name to the left of this post near my avatar... send me an email.

I'll be happy to look at it through email before you post it, but that's makes a "lost opportunity" for others who might learn something about the "discovery" process you and I are currently going through.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.