SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Restore with no backup

Restore with no backup

Author
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Okay... we all get your co-worker is "fearless" and has not guts to say "no", the question here is... what did your coworker do before dropping the database? Please don't tell me the first task in his "migration plan" was "drop the target database".

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)SSC Guru (91K reputation)

Vika (8/29/2008)
Guys,
The database suppose to be setup on the disk where everything gets backed up automatically but following the written instructions (that had an error in the path!) he set it up on a different disk ( where nothing gets backed up). Database was in use for a while and then it was discovered that it doesn't get backed up.

That's not how you backup a SQL database. Copying the files of an in-use SQL database to tape/other backup device is not going to work properly. You're very likely to get a suspect database if you try to 'recover' from that.

Use SQL's backup mechanism (backup database to..., or maintenance plan) to create database backup files, then back those files up to taps or whereever you put your backups.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

You can run something like this to identify databases that have not been backed up in the last n days:

select * from master..sysdatabases db
where (not exists
(select * from msdb.dbo.backupset
where db.name = msdb.dbo.backupset.database_name
and backup_start_date > DATEADD(DAY, -2, (getdate()))))
order by name

Loner
Loner
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.7K reputation)

I hope your co-worker and your boss learn a good lesson. Of course somebody never learns from mistake!!!!!! One of my former DBA kept making mistake and her boss kept backing her up. When I pointed out her mistakes, her boss complained to my boss that I was a difficult person to work with!!!!! Oh well!!!!
There is no backup of that database ever? Not even a few months ago?
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

It amazes me that the lack of backups is so common. I will be starting a new job soon, and after finding my desk, the first think I will do will be to find out their backup procedures & verify their backups. I'll run that little script above, find out if/when the backup files get written to tape etc etc ......

Accidents happen, servers crash, things break, corruption occurs, users want to restore data from odd-ball times ..... Sometimes a specific recovery is not possible, but someone in the organization needs to make sure that the basics are covered.

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
PaulB-TheOneAndOnly
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

Loner (8/29/2008)
When I pointed out her mistakes, her boss complained to my boss that I was a difficult person to work with!!!!! Oh well!!!!

Did you rat her out?
Let me guess... she wasn't pretty and... you definitively are a "difficult person to work with" BigGrin

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Lowell
Lowell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

when you delete a file, regardless of the recycle bin, the file is still there, but the disk space it used is open for use by other programs...if you hurry and grab an UNDELETE utility, you might still have a chance to recover the mdf and ldf files. google undelete and try any of the utilities you find.

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Ray Mond
Ray Mond
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)

google undelete and try any of the utilities you find.

But don't install them on the same drives where the mdf and ldf files used to be located on. In fact, don't do anything on those drives.

Ray Mond
Get a SQL Size 2.0 single-instance license for FREE
Claim one here!
Chand00
Chand00
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)Right there with Babe (790 reputation)

Oh I feel sorry for that guy. But I surprise how the database can be deleted when it is in use. most of the production db's will be continuously in use. And wht happened to your backup. Dont you have proper disaster recovery strategy.

Thanks
Chandra Mohan

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)SSC Guru (90K reputation)

Lowell (8/29/2008)
when you delete a file, regardless of the recycle bin, the file is still there, but the disk space it used is open for use by other programs...if you hurry and grab an UNDELETE utility, you might still have a chance to recover the mdf and ldf files. google undelete and try any of the utilities you find.

Spot on, Lowell!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.