SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Identifying Queries Running Slower Than Normal

Identifying Queries Running Slower Than Normal

Author
Andy Holliday
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)Forum Newbie (8 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I had to add

END
GO

to the end of the code too. It appears to be missing on the web page.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)SSC Guru (62K reputation)

Group: Administrators
END added to the code.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
ianstirk
ianstirk
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)

Hi,

from the feedback, I’m not sure if people have understood this article completely.

The article discusses how to identify queries that are running slower than normal i.e. ones that seem to have degraded in performance. It is not about finding slow queries per se.

If you want to discover which queries are taking the longest to run (in terms of duration or IO), look at the sections entitled “Costly Queries by CPU”, and “Costly Queries by I/O”, in my MSDN article here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc135978.aspx

Thanks
Ian
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Good article, Ian. Ignore those ignorant enough to criticise without giving a reason. And to those who carp about bugs in the code, I say this: Debug it yourself! You'll learn by doing this. Incorrect syntax? Use Books Online to find out what the correct syntax is. Divide by zero error? Put in your own CASE statement to stop this. Carriage returns lost when copying and pasting? Put them back in. Honestly, whenever I post code I'm half tempted to put deliberate errors in it so that people don't just copy it and use it without thinking about it.

John
nick-889921
nick-889921
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I created the proc and executed it. Got the following:

Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Procedure dba_QueryTimeDelta, Line 25
Divide by zero error encountered.
The statement has been terminated.

(0 row(s) affected)

(0 row(s) affected)

Any quick fixes available?
Nick
Troy Gatchell-386101
Troy Gatchell-386101
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

For a SQL 2000 tool google sp_who_3 written by Mike Barzilli.
BuckWoody
BuckWoody
Old Hand
Old Hand (311 reputation)Old Hand (311 reputation)Old Hand (311 reputation)Old Hand (311 reputation)Old Hand (311 reputation)Old Hand (311 reputation)Old Hand (311 reputation)Old Hand (311 reputation)

Same here. I've ensured that the code pasted correctly, there are no bad characters and so on. But I'm also getting a divide by zero error - I'm assuming this in the first CASE statement, but I don't have time to debug that right now. Interesting concept, though.

Buck Woody
MCDBA, MCSE, Novell and Sun Certified
ianstirk
ianstirk
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (174 reputation)

Hi,

please see a previous discussion entry by jacroberts, he has the relevant code to prevent the divide by zero error.

thanks
Ian
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.