SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Dumb Question

Dumb Question

Author
Kayal-717623
Old Hand
Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,

i have something like the below:

declare @ss varchar(30)
set @ss='ProductID'
SELECT @SS from Product

If i execute the above, 'ProductID' is returned. But I want to retrieve the value of productID? How will i get the value of the productid instead of the string 'ProductID'

i know this is probably the dumbest question ever Wink

Thanks for your time.
Kayal-717623
Kayal-717623
Old Hand
Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)Old Hand (300 reputation)

I know it can be done by dynamic sql but is there any way to do it without dynamic sql?

Thanks,
kayal
Raleigh Beringer
Raleigh Beringer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)Forum Newbie (6 reputation)

You are explicity setting the value for @ss as ProductID

Try something like the following

Set @ss = (SELECT ProductID FROM SomeTable)

Note that you may have to set a top 1 or where clause to ensure only 1 result is returned.
steveb.
steveb.
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Quite a tricky question, I am not aware of a way that it can be done without using dynamic SQL.
Am interested if anyone has a solution ..
Kayal-717623
Kayal-717623
Old Hand

Thanks Raleigh. I dont want to assign the result of the select to a variable but i want to use the variable(which has the field name) in the select list to get the value of the field.

The reason why i need this is in the audit table trigger, I get the field name of the primary key
SELECT @PrimaryKey = COLUMN_NAME
from INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLE_CONSTRAINTS pk ,
INFORMATION_SCHEMA.KEY_COLUMN_USAGE c
where pk.TABLE_NAME = @table_name
and CONSTRAINT_TYPE = 'PRIMARY KEY'
and c.TABLE_NAME = pk.TABLE_NAME
and c.CONSTRAINT_NAME = pk.CONSTRAINT_NAME

I want to use the @PrimaryKey in my select to get the primary key value. Also using the COLUMNS_UPDATED() function i find out the fieldnames which was updated. I need to use the field names in the select list to get the value of the field.

Thank You. i appreciate your reply.
Michael Earl-395764
Michael Earl-395764
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

You cannot do this without dynamic SQL.
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)

Since triggers have to be created on each table that you're going to log, why not just put the primary key in the trigger directly? This seems a little too generic.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Kayal-717623
Kayal-717623
Old Hand

Thanks Micheal and Gsquared for the replies. i really appreciate it.

GSquared,

You are right. But the maintenance will be really difficult right. Any change in the table, everybody forgets to update the trigger right. So I am trying to make it as generic as possible. Do you think that will affect the performance badly? Thats why i am tring to avoid the dynamic sql. Performance is ofcourse an important criteria for me. But my manager donot want me to hard code things as well. I dono what is a best solution here.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
GSquared
GSquared
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)SSC Guru (54K reputation)

I wrote a couple of articles on logging and auditing a little while back. They might help. They're at:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Auditing/63247/
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Auditing/63248/

The discussions have a lot of good data in them as well.

Check those out, and if they don't answer what you need, please let me know and I'll see if I can help clarify it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Kayal-717623
Kayal-717623
Old Hand

Hi Gsquared,

That was a quick reply. I read ur articles on auditing a month back. Those 2 articles was awesome and Only that got me started. Again now i am stuck in a confusion. Those articles have quite a bit of information. I have to re-visit them and read it again. That will resolve my problem i guess Smile

Thanks Again,
Kayal
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.