Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Operations Manager Custom Collection

Operations Manager Custom Collection

Author
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Operations Manager Custom Collection

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Raghuram (AJ)
Raghuram (AJ)
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (530 reputation)

Great article Grant!

The vision must be followed by the venture. It is not enough to stare up the steps - we must step up the stairs. - Vance Havner
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)

Nice article ........

Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Thanks guys. I realize it's kind of an obscure topic, but I had such a hard time tracking down the individual pieces of information that I felt compelled to share it so the next person has a slightly easier time.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
thierry.vandurme
thierry.vandurme
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)SSC Eights! (909 reputation)

Great stuff! Although I'm one of those guys who loves to find this out himself (you forget less if you need to search yourself) it kinda eases the mind with the idea that I can always revert to your article when I'm stuck. Thx again!
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Insane

I'm glad it was helpful.

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.8K reputation)

Grant Fritchey (6/5/2008)
Thanks guys. I realize it's kind of an obscure topic, but I had such a hard time tracking down the individual pieces of information that I felt compelled to share it so the next person has a slightly easier time.

Yaa, I know Grant, how much care a author has to take before producing a good article. Thank you for all your efforts you have taken to write this article.

Smile

Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

Nice article Grant. Not sure if I'll use it or not, since there are other ways of collecting the information without MOM, but since we have MOM it might be the best way to go about it and now I know how.

Definitely a good topic to write about because I mainly think of MOM as a System Admin tool and not a SQL Server tool.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Insane

Oh yeah, this is a major SQL Server tool if you can put it to work. Talk to Tom LaRock some time. He's gone way past where I am currently with the tool. Just the basic monitors & rules are pretty fantastic, but when you can start customizing it to your environment... it really takes off. And now that you've got the data... Reports... Except there's not a good model available for custom reporting (and yeah, if I get one working well enough, that's going to be another article).

Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
SQLEngine
SQLEngine
Valued Member
Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)Valued Member (55 reputation)

Grant, very useful article, thanks. One question I have is how to report on this stuff after creating a rule? When I try to use if in Generic Performance reports in OpsManager, I don't see any of the properties specified in this new rule.

I'd also want to report on the same thing in the filegroups, as far as I can tell.

Thanks
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.