SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Uninstall SSRS If you are not using it

Uninstall SSRS If you are not using it

Author
Mohan  Kumar
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Uninstall SSRS If you are not using it

--www.sqlvillage.com
Alexander-449406
Alexander-449406
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

There is a good reason for this error, here: [url=http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337324.aspx][/url]

Reporting Services is not an unplanned installation.
Anipaul
Anipaul
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Nice article but if you googled first you could hit the reporting service first. Generally when I get a new error I google it.........Smile

parcival
parcival
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

Saying that you will Google the error is all very well but don't forget that someone has to highlight and document these "features" in the first place. Well done for writing the article.

Kevin-458339
Kevin-458339
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Thanks for the article - it is to the point and focused.

It made me think of the components of SQL that I have installed and know that I do not use them and should get around to removing them - but never have. (on my laptop - not on production servers)

Thanks
Kevin
dbaforever
dbaforever
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

At first glance, I tend to disagree. I don't always know which features will be used in the long-term on a new SQL Server. So I install AS,IS and RS. Then I install the latest Service Pack. (If I install RS later, I will have to reapply the Service Pack to fully patch that new module)

And by having it already installed, it is ready to use if/when we decide to use that feature.

Of course I agree with stopping the services related to an unused product.

This is just my practice.
SuperDBA-207096
SuperDBA-207096
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

In general, it's a good idea to reduce the surface area of a server by disabling unused services. This includes Reporting Services, integration services, IIS, etc....
Mohan Kumar
Mohan  Kumar
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

this error came after a year from date of installation. when service was already disabled.

--www.sqlvillage.com
russell-154600
russell-154600
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)SSC-Addicted (495 reputation)

John Bates (5/27/2008)
At first glance, I tend to disagree. I don't always know which features will be used in the long-term on a new SQL Server. So I install AS,IS and RS. Then I install the latest Service Pack. (If I install RS later, I will have to reapply the Service Pack to fully patch that new module)

And by having it already installed, it is ready to use if/when we decide to use that feature.

Of course I agree with stopping the services related to an unused product.

This is just my practice.

This practice is flawed. Best Practice dictates that you should install only what you need. If you aren't sure, then someone who is should be performing the installation.

As for the guy saying "If you had googled first" I would submit that little relevant information would be returned. This is a case of an experienced DBA using his knowledge along with a little bit of testing to resolve an error that is generally not documented.

Well done. Nice article. And now a google search WILL return relevant information for DBAs who run into the same issue.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)SSC Guru (249K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Tend to agree with you above. Don't install something you don't need.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.