SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Reporting on Activity across Multiple Servers using SQL Backup and SQL Multi Script

Reporting on Activity across Multiple Servers using SQL Backup and SQL Multi Script

Author
rodneylandrum
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Reporting on Activity across Multiple Servers using SQL Backup and SQL Multi Script

Jerry Hung
Jerry Hung
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Interesting article

I have RedGate Toolbelt, but sucks that SQL Backup is PER SERVER license so I don't have it installed on any server instance yet to try this technique

SQLServerNewbie

MCITP: Database Administrator SQL Server 2005
Merrill Aldrich
Merrill Aldrich
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)SSC-Addicted (464 reputation)

This series is great, but isn't the phrase "months of laborious work" indicative of the notion it might be more effective to buy a monitoring tool than to write one? It might be possible to get a lot more functionality while spending your time on work directly benefiting whatever your core business is.
jswong05
jswong05
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)Say Hey Kid (709 reputation)

Merrill,
Yes, monitoring software like Idera DM and Quest Spotlight does work. I use them all day long. It is the best black-box recorder you can have when CIO wants to know why database had a problem last week (month) and evidence report.

However I wrote a lot of stuff myself, because A) the tool may not provide or provided a different view. Imagine how many performance counters you can have recorded and shown. The tool may not have all. Any DBA manual tasks, I wrote them into automated scripts. When I come to work, I only need to glance review everything. B) I wrote index defrag which savs my company $1200 per instance per year. That is $80,000 saving. I wrote database refresh script so I can plug in parameters and run a refresh at a few clicks. There are things money cannot buy.

When I have some doubts about my databases, I pull out some scripts from my repository (most of them in SP form), a few clicks I have complete info about my databases' current status.

Jason
http://usa.redirectme.net

Jason
http://dbace.us
:-P
te4t0n 70594
te4t0n 70594
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Thanks for this information.

I have a few questions:

1) How do you know the size should only be divided by 1,000,000 and not 1,048,576?
2) Is speed MB/s ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Tom
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.