SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Performance Tuning: Concatenation Functions and Some Tuning Myths

Performance Tuning: Concatenation Functions and Some Tuning Myths

Author
JJ B
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Matt: I've run into that very problem on more than one occasion. Sometimes I do a replace() to fix the problem. Sometimes I can change the text to avoid the encoding (?not sure if that's the right term) text.

Here's another trick. What if you want a line return between each row instead of a comma? You might be tempted to use the following to create a new row:
SELECT Char(13) + Char(10) + MyColumn ...

But if you do that, you get this garbeldyguk at the end of each line: "
" Ugh. The trick is to do the Char(10) by itself without the Char(13). Then you get line returns without the added text. This may be obvious to people, but it wasn't to me. It took some playing to figure it out. So, I thought I would share.
JJ B
JJ B
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Mike: I'd be interested to know if you ever get the TYPE option to work. I had read about it and tried it, but it never worked for me. Then again, I may have been doing something wrong.
Mike C
Mike C
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)

JJ B (3/19/2008)
Mike: I'd be interested to know if you ever get the TYPE option to work. I had read about it and tried it, but it never worked for me. Then again, I may have been doing something wrong.

I just tried it and it didn't change the outcome Sad I'll play around with it later and see if I can get it working. It may end up being a case where REPLACE is required on the 5 entities:

<
>
"
'
&

JJ B
JJ B
Ten Centuries

Mike: Thanks for looking into it. Glad to know I didn't miss something terribly obvious.

re: "replace required on certain characters. "
I would add: & # x 0 D ;
as characters that may need replacing.
(without the spaces. I can't figure out how to get this to display as-is. What did you do to get the above encodings to appear as-is?)
Matt Miller (4)
Matt Miller (4)
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

JJ B (3/20/2008)
Mike: Thanks for looking into it. Glad to know I didn't miss something terribly obvious.

re: "replace required on certain characters. "
I would add: & # x 0 D ;
as characters that may need replacing.
(without the spaces. I can't figure out how to get this to display as-is. What did you do to get the above encodings to appear as-is?)

I usually "con" it by "bolding" one of the characters in the string. by having the tag in the middle of the string - HTML doesn't "kick in " and encode it.

As in - (x is bolded)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
JJ B
JJ B
Ten Centuries

Matt: Great tip! I used it on my earlier post and it worked. Thanks.
Mike C
Mike C
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.5K reputation)

That's what I basically did (after about 10 edit attempts). I italicized everything after the ampersand. It appears that when the parser for this editor sees an ampersand it wipes out all alphabetic characters up to the semicolon. So the trick of using > for instance, wipes out the gt; but converts the & to an ampersand. Seems like it might be a bug in the editor control. Apparently when it encounters a nonalphabetic character like [ it acts as a break between the ampersand and the alphabetic characters.
JJ B
JJ B
Ten Centuries

Thanks for the additional reply. I wish there was an easy escape character or set of characters to say "hey, please print this text as-shown". Sort of like doubling a single quote in a string to let SQL Server know that it really is just a single quote.
Tom Brown
Tom  Brown
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Jeff
Its brilliant. But how on earth can anyone be expected to figure out the STUFF(... WHERE ... FOR XML PATH('') Syntax - especially when there is no XML involved!
I'll be using this, but I'm a bit wary as I don't know exactly how it works
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

Tom Brown (8/21/2008)
Jeff
Its brilliant. But how on earth can anyone be expected to figure out the STUFF(... WHERE ... FOR XML PATH('') Syntax - especially when there is no XML involved!
I'll be using this, but I'm a bit wary as I don't know exactly how it works

Thanks... I wish I could take credit for it, but I can't.

I haven't done an indepth analysis of the method, but I've read that it tries to make an XML path out of the individual items and, because the "root" is supressed, it generates not tags. The "STUFF" is just to kill the leading comma.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.