The SQL Internals Viewer

The SQL Internals Viewer

Author
Danny Gould-360568
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted here are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dgould/3200.asp
noeld
noeld
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)

One word: OUTSTANDING!

* Noel
Cory E.
Cory E.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

This looks really good...now, I need to understand what infomation I have here...still looking.

THANKS!

C

-- Cory
Jones'e
Jones'e
Old Hand
Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)Old Hand (310 reputation)

Looks great.

When I try to connect to a remote db, I get this error:
Any one know why?

TITLE: Connect to server
------------------------------

Invalid object name 'sys.database_files'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 208)

Zach Nichter
Zach Nichter
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

I'll be checking this app out. It looks great!

--------------------------
Zach

Odds_And_Ends Blog
Danny Gould-360568
Danny Gould-360568
Valued Member
Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)Valued Member (54 reputation)

Donavon,

What version of SQL Server are you trying to connect to? The tool only works with SQL Server 2005/2008.

Danny

David McFarland
David McFarland
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

This is sweet. No more DBCC Page commands for me!

As an aside, does Kalen Delaney know about this tool yet? She might find it quite interesting, since she's person that many of us learned the internals from in the first place.

Aaron Ingold
Aaron Ingold
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

This is awesome.

Great tool. I'm adding this to my shortlist of must have SQL Server tools.
Robert Davis
Robert Davis
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

A couple of changes that I'd like to see made in the tool in a future release:

1. The application is listed as ".Net SqlClient Data Provider". Would prefer to see it's actual application name listed when I do an sp_who2.
  2. The distribution database is listed as a user database rather than a system database. I would like to see it listed as a system database.

I received the following error:

TITLE: SQL Internals Viewer

An unhandled exception has occurred.

Please report this error to issues@sqlinternalsviewer.com to help improve this application.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Index was outside the bounds of the array. (SqlInternalsViewer)

Program Location:

at SqlInternalsViewer.UI.AllocationUnitsLayer.GenerateLayers(Database database, BackgroundWorker worker)
at SqlInternalsViewer.ApplicationForm.AllocUnitbackgroundWorker_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)

My blog: SQL Soldier
SQL Server Best Practices: SQL Server Best Practices
Twitter: @SQLSoldier
My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management
Wayne West
Wayne West
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.1K reputation)

Is this a Vista-only app? I don't have 2005 online right now to play with it yet, I was wondering because the window control boxes are different.

-----
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.