SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Getting the Most out of SQL Server 2000's Query Analyzer, Part I

Getting the Most out of SQL Server 2000's Query Analyzer, Part I

Author
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck
Keeper of the Duck (6.8K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/qa2k_1.asp

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
shendricks
shendricks
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
The preamble intrigued me because it mentioned new Query Analyzer features would be covered. Instead, we are covering SQL security modes (regardless of Query Analyzer) and how to resolve linked server issues using Active directory (regardless of Query Analyzer). Not to worry, we'll be covering "new Query Analyzer features" next time.

Steve Hendricks
MCSD, MCDBA
Data Matrix

shendricks@afsconsulting.com
(949) 588-9800 x15
Antares686
Antares686
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.4K reputation)

Basic and simple, waiting for a bit more meat. Ready for pt2.

K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck

The series will cover the new features. However, as we discuss each part, I'll be mentioning common problems and issues that I've seen. The two issues mentioned in Part I are from real life conversations with developers who were stuck.

K. Brian Kelley
bkelley@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the feedback, though it wouldn't hur to give Brian the benefit of the doubt! I agree with your comment that the lead for the article didn't really do a good job setting expectations. This is something we do (meaning the owners) and we didn't do a very good job of it this time. We'll try to do better! I hope you'll continue to visit and contribute.

Andy

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
acotgreave
acotgreave
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

Great article. I've been struggling with exactly the issues with linked servers that you describe, and your article is the clearest explanation of the problem I have come across. Looking forward to the rest of the series....

Andy

K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck

Thanks for the kind words! BTW, the latest issue of SQL Server Magazine has an article about using account delegation in Windows 2000 Active Directory to get around this problem.

K. Brian Kelley
bkelley@sqlservercentral.com
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
Tatsu
Tatsu
Old Hand
Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)Old Hand (302 reputation)

The discussion about security actually brings up another great use for Query Analyzer that wasn't specifically mentioned in the article but was certainly demonstrated. QA is very helpful when trying to diagnose connection and security issues. It is a pretty lightweight client so it loads quickly and the login options allow the user to log in under a sql account that an application might be using in order to test the queries under the same credentials without a lot of application overhead.

In relation to the RunAs command, you can also access this Windows 2000/XP feature by right-clicking on an icon in the Start Menu, on the desktop, or in a toolbar on the task bar and selecting the "Run as..." option from the context menu. When you do it this way, you get a login dialog like the one shown below.

RunAs Dialog Box

Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD
Business Intelligence Administrator
MSBI Administration Blog
K. Brian Kelley
K. Brian Kelley
Keeper of the Duck

I didn't think to include that when writing the article. I'm not sure why. If you hold down the shift key while right-clicking, that does bring up the option to Run As another account. I use it all the time administering Active Directory.

K. Brian Kelley
@‌kbriankelley
fastvarun
fastvarun
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

can we connect through query with one server to another "sql server 2000 query to connect another server"

Please mail me at fastvarun@gmail.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.