SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Quick Hints for using the RAISERROR Command

Quick Hints for using the RAISERROR Command

Author
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dpoole/quickhintsforusingtheraiserrorcommand.asp

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
Sean Fackrell
Sean Fackrell
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (132 reputation)

I think if you use RAISERROR WITH LOG in your production stored procedures, users executing the procedure that aren't members of the sysadmin role will cause the procedure to fail so this is a limitation of its use in this scenario. You can get round this by using a debug or trace bit parameter and only calling RAISERROR if this parameter is set to 1. This may not always be possible in a production environment unless you are able to change the client calling code to switch the trace on/off.

mccool
mccool
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Lots of extra commas were showing up in the first example for some reason. It should read:

DECLARE @sStringVar VARCHAR(440) ,
@lInteger Int ,
@fFloat decimal(6,2) ,
@byUnsignedInt tinyint
SELECT @sStringVar = 'A string' ,
@lInteger=44 ,
@fFloat=3.14 ,
@byUnsignedInt = 56
RAISERROR('The string variable contains %s, the int contains %d, the float contains %d, the uint contains %d',
10 -- Informational severity only.
,@sStringVar,
@lInteger,
@fFloat,
@byUnsignedInt
) WITH LOG, NOWAIT

Chris Roesener
Chris Roesener
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (199 reputation)

Nice article. To Sean's point -- you could wrap the calls with IF IS_SRVROLEMEMBER('sysadmin') = 1 to prevent problems with the user not having sysadmin.
Aaron Dutton
Aaron Dutton
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)SSC Veteran (245 reputation)

Thanks for the enlightening article about RAISEERROR. I just wanted to point out a couple things.

I think there's a typo in the very last example. The line is:

SET @sMessage = CONVERT(CHAR(19),@dtEnd,120) + ' <proc name>:<block description> started'

But it should be:

SET @sMessage = CONVERT(CHAR(19),@dtStart,120) + ' <proc name>:<block description> started'

Also, I think you can get the current stored procedure name using:

object_name(@@PROCID)

So you wouldn't have to hardcode it in your literal.

Cheers!

Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Thanks, Old SQL 6.5 habits die hard. Although I know it exists I rarely use the object_name function.

Does anyone know the correct syntax for getting decimal places to appear in the RAISERROR statements? As I said in the article BOL says you can do it but I simply couldn't get it to work.

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
John Scarborough
John Scarborough
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)SSC-Addicted (454 reputation)

Very nice article. Short, simple, useful. A few typos help me think about what I'm doing, so I won't complain about those!

John Scarborough
MCDBA, MCSA
noeld
noeld
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)

That is not entirely true. If the severity level used in the RAISERROR WITH LOG is between 0 and 18 you don't need to be part of the sysadmin role but if the value is between 19 and 25 you must be sysadmin

Good article by the way

* Noel
Richard Moldwin
Richard Moldwin
Old Hand
Old Hand (398 reputation)Old Hand (398 reputation)Old Hand (398 reputation)Old Hand (398 reputation)Old Hand (398 reputation)Old Hand (398 reputation)Old Hand (398 reputation)Old Hand (398 reputation)

Nice article. It's just too bad that there is a need for it.

<Rant On>

Error handling in SQL Server 2000 is utterly brain-dead. Whenever I can, I prefer to code in DMO/ADO just to avoid this "little" issue, and the equally brain-dead SQL debugger. Unfortunately, the DMO work-around is often inadequate or too slow, forcing my hand to use kludges like this. T-SQL programming involves a major loss of productivity, compared to any other modern language I know of.

<Rant off>

noeld
noeld
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)SSC-Insane (22K reputation)

Richard: Nice rant

* Noel
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.