SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Hits and Misses

Hits and Misses

Author
fhanlon
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Great Article. It is interesting to note that this article came out on the 1 year anniversary of Chris's Article - Worst Practice - Not Qualifying Objects with the Owner.

Francis
Chris Hedgate
Chris Hedgate
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.3K reputation)

Yep, I do not normally use case-sensitive servers, but I always try to enforce naming and coding conventions that say exactly how to name objects and write code, where to use lower and upper case etc. Especially for sp_executesql this makes this much more important now.

--
Chris Hedgate http://www.hedgate.net/
Contributor to the Best of SQL Server Central volumes
Articles: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/chedgate/
rockmoose
rockmoose
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Very good and interesting article
Thanx.

You must unlearn what You have learnt
Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Let us suppose that you develop on a case sensitive server and that development includes a substantial amount of data, that is, more than you would want to insert using INSERT statements and probably some binary data.

How would you deploy this to a case insensitive server?

I have had problems where a client has supplied me with a database backup for a completely different collation sequence to mine and my server refused to restore it.

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
Angelo Cook
Angelo Cook
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)

Thanks Mr. Metcalf, every bit helps in keeping your performance in line. Yes, we have a high proportion too.

scott mcnitt
scott mcnitt
Old Hand
Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)Old Hand (346 reputation)

Question (with apologies in advance for my ignorance):

I use ADO in my app to execute the sproc. I create a command object with collection of parm objects standard (works with input and/or out parms).

When I set the CommandText I do not fully qualify the sproc name.

*This* is what the article is talking about, correct? I should set the CommandText to "dbo.spDoSomething" instead of just "spDoSomething".

The real question is: the issue is the same if using ADO and not just in T-SQL, correct? The names (or case) of the members of the parms collection does not matter, although the order does.

Tien Tran
Tien Tran
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (118 reputation)

Thanks for the articles.
However, when I run the same SP a couple times, I see a cache miss right after cache hit and the usecounts in syscacheobjects does increase.
Everytimes I run the sp, a cachemiss will happen before the cache hit
Could you explain?
Thanks!
T.

Here is my example copied from BOL
USE AdventureWorks;
GO
IF OBJECT_ID ( 'HumanResources.uspGetAllEmployees', 'P' ) IS NOT NULL
DROP PROCEDURE HumanResources.uspGetAllEmployees;
GO
CREATE PROCEDURE HumanResources.uspGetAllEmployees
AS