Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

format the output column in destination .csv

format the output column in destination .csv

Author
arkiboys
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,
in ssis, I use a oledb source to execute a stored procedure and a flat file source to have the result into .csv format file.
One of the result columns is Date.
The stored procedure returns dd/mm/yyyy but when I look at the .csv destination file, it shows the column as dd/mm/yyyy 00:00:00
Question:
How do I get rid of the 0's after the date in the destination .csv file please?
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

arkiboys (7/21/2014)
Hello,
in ssis, I use a oledb source to execute a stored procedure and a flat file source to have the result into .csv format file.
The stored procedure returns dd/mm/yyyy but when I look at the .csv destination file, it shows the column as dd/mm/yyyy 00:00:00
Question:

Lookup the CONVERT function in Books On Line. That'll do it for you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
     Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
arkiboys
arkiboys
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)

Jeff Moden (7/21/2014)
arkiboys (7/21/2014)
Hello,
Question:

Lookup the CONVERT function in Books On Line. That'll do it for you.

This is the sql I am using in stored proc:
AsOfDate = convert(varchar(11),AsOfDate,103)

It returns something like dd/mm/yyyy but in th edestination .csv I get dd/mm/yyyy 00:00:0000
I tried using derived column but that doe snot seem to do it.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)SSC-Forever (44K reputation)

Ah, my apologies. You said that in your original post and I was in too much of a hurry. I'm not sure how to do this on the SSIS side of the export. There should be something in SSIS that says use the result set of your proc as all text data instead of converting the text (dates) back to a datetime.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
     Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Lempster
Lempster
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

You shouldn't need a Derived Column transformation to do this. If you click on 'Advanced' in your Flat File Connection Manager Editor, what DataType is the receiving column set to? It should be DT_STR and the OutputColumnWidth property should be set to 11.

Regards
Lempster
arkiboys
arkiboys
SSC-Enthusiastic

Lempster (7/22/2014)
You shouldn't need a Derived Column transformation to do this. If you click on 'Advanced' in your Flat File Connection Manager Editor, what DataType is the receiving column set to? It should be DT_STR and the OutputColumnWidth property should be set to 11.

Regards
Lempster

I did that but in preview I can still see the leading 00000
And also the 00000 appear in the .csv file in column AsOfDate.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Lempster
Lempster
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

You didn't answer my question. Is the DataType property for that column set to DT_STR?
arkiboys
arkiboys
SSC-Enthusiastic

Lempster (7/23/2014)
You didn't answer my question. Is the DataType property for that column set to DT_STR?

DT_STR
Lempster
Lempster
SSCrazy

Hmm, in that case, I don't know why you are seeing that behavior. I put together a quick SSIS package to do the same as you are doing in your package and my dates in the CSV output file don't have any time portion. Could it be to do with the Regional Settings on your pc/server I wonder?

Sorry, I don't think I can help any further. Unsure
arkiboys
arkiboys
SSC-Enthusiastic

Lempster (7/24/2014)
Hmm, in that case, I don't know why you are seeing that behavior. I put together a quick SSIS package to do the same as you are doing in your package and my dates in the CSV output file don't have any time portion. Could it be to do with the Regional Settings on your pc/server I wonder?

Sorry, I don't think I can help any further. Unsure

Thank you
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.