SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

One Size Does Not Fit All

One Size Does Not Fit All

Author
SQLHammer
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (171 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item One Size Does Not Fit All

Derik Hammer
@SQLHammer
www.sqlhammer.com
Michael Valentine Jones
Michael Valentine Jones
SSChampion
SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)SSChampion (13K reputation)

"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple--and wrong."
H.L. Mencken, "The Divine Afflatus"
lshanahan
lshanahan
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Living this out right now in a way.

After watching our Facilities people cringe every time someone asked them for a report on repairs and maintenance, I finally walked into their office and said, "Go find some facilities maintenance and repair packages that make sense and do what you need them to do. I'll help you with the technical part of it." Eventually we found a very nice third-party cloud-based solution that has them (and our management and accounting people) turning handsprings. It's not perfect, and I'm working on integrating the data with our other systems, but it's revolutionizing our Facilities department.

They had been using one of those "one-size-fits-the-bottom-line" solutions which was terrible and not even made for the purpose of repair and maintenance (it tracked certification and validation - which is entirely different). One day when the main office discovered the current version of that software was going out of support, a huge search began for a replacement. One of the first things out of the mouths of executive managment was - you guessed it - we want a "one-size-fits-our-bottom-line" solution.

And even though we offered the solution we had procured, the leading candidate right now is the newer version of the same crappy package they had before even though it will take a year and a half just to implement it and we're humming along nicely with our solution.

Talk about the defintion of insanity...

SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)SSC Rookie (48 reputation)

I agree, there is no "one-size-fits-all" solution in the world of Enterprise Systems. I have this long experience where I have seen the pendulum swing back and forth from "Solve the problem" to "Standardize Everything". The result is a never ending morass of opportunities that keep IT people employed and often frustrated. What we need is more experience on the bench, a practicle approach to managing day-to-day operations and a management oversight that understand the value of well run IT information systems that have true value and contribution to the bottom line instead of the endless stream of expenditures percieved as "fixing what's wrong" which has no real value to the executive in the corner office.
OCTom
OCTom
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

crussell-931424 (7/16/2014)
I can't count the number of times management has presented me with an assignment which is the solution to some problem they have. Once implemented and they realize the failure we end up asking what it is they are attempting to solve so that we can develop a workable solution.

Why is it that the question "What are you trying to solve?" is many times the last question asked? Crazy

Tom
Eirikur Eiriksson
Eirikur Eiriksson
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

On the line of George Orwell, "one-size-fits-all as not all sizes are equal"
Cool
swwg69
swwg69
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)SSC Journeyman (87 reputation)

What is the most extreme case? You cannot lose a singe transaction when the earthquake hits.
Write up a solution that handles that, then scale out to EVERY table in EVERY server.
When they see the price tag, they may decide that one size does not fit all.
Then again, they may want all of your test data retrievable.
They may not be the IRS, so losing things won't be acceptable.
sqlhammer 72186
sqlhammer 72186
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)SSC Journeyman (83 reputation)

I appreciate everybody's comments. It seems obvious that this is a problem that we all experience regardless of the industry or product that we support.

swwg69 hit the nail on the head by mentioning price. Often managers look at the price tag of the data tier as an aggregate of the hardware costs and software licensing costs. But there are management costs which need to be nailed down and communicated when moving to a more complicated architecture and then there are costs that are much harder to relate to currency. Those costs include development process limitations and deployment risks. With deployment risks also comes potential down time and bugs being injected.

In the end, if a dollar value can be put on the decision then we can become more successful at educating those who do not hold our specialty.

Best Regards,
Derik Hammer
www.sqlhammer.com
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

OCTom (7/16/2014)
crussell-931424 (7/16/2014)
I can't count the number of times management has presented me with an assignment which is the solution to some problem they have. Once implemented and they realize the failure we end up asking what it is they are attempting to solve so that we can develop a workable solution.

Why is it that the question "What are you trying to solve?" is many times the last question asked? Crazy

Tom

It could be that once people understand what they are asking for others can put a cost on doing it, or those who understand the data and business model can tell the requestor that the data is not there to solve it.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.