SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Hekaton

Hekaton

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)SSC Guru (250K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Hekaton

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for the Hekaton question, Steve. I'm looking forward to trying this out eventually!
Mr. Kapsicum
Mr. Kapsicum
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

this is one feature that i am eagerly waiting,,, wanna try my hand out on this.
Cool
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

This is one feature that is exiting - played a bit with it in CTP1

paul s-306273
paul s-306273
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.7K reputation)

Thanks for the QOTD Steve.
Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)SSC Guru (111K reputation)

While I'm anxious to try out in-memory OLTP, it leaves me with two questions.
1. How are the transaction logs stored? If they aren't written to disk, we'll lose durability, which would be a deal-breaker. While I'm sure they took this into account, I really hope it's solid and would like to learn more.
2. How much memory are we going to need to be able to run a 1TB database? Not all shops can afford to have 80 cores and 4TB of memory. This will be the most interesting part to me.

Thanks for the question, Steve. Maybe I'll start searching when I have some time to do research.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Mr. Kapsicum (12/5/2013)
Cool

+1
steve.jacobs
steve.jacobs
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Carlo Romagnano (12/6/2013)
Mr. Kapsicum (12/5/2013)
Cool

+1

Steve thank you. I have been waiting for this for sometime as opposed to writing my own custom in-memory "logical" devices and once it goes live, MSSQL can finally put to bed (at least through Gartner) one of the negative points they keep referencing (via customers).

+1 :-D
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

When I first saw the question (without seeing possible answers), I thought this was about the source of the term "Hekaton". (Megaton, Gigaton, ... Hekaton???) Glad it was easier than that. Thanks for the question Steve.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
OCTom
OCTom
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

I did not see the answer I was looking for. Something along the lines of "Godzilla's new enemy in Godzilla vs. Hekaton".

Tom
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.