SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Is there a way of copying the securables definitions from 1 db to another?

Is there a way of copying the securables definitions from 1 db to another?

Author
Rod
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
We're finally moving to SQL 2012 from SQL 2005. Is there a way of automating the moving or copying of securables from the old database for some of the users, to the new database for the same users? If so, how is that done?

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
lkennedy76
lkennedy76
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

No. What procedures are you taking to move over your databases from 05 to 12? Backup and restore I hope!

MCSA SQL Server 2012
Mike Hinds
Mike Hinds
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Rod at work (9/5/2013)
We're finally moving to SQL 2012 from SQL 2005. Is there a way of automating the moving or copying of securables from the old database for some of the users, to the new database for the same users? If so, how is that done?

As "I.T.D." said, backup old DBs, then restore them to new server instance. If the server logins that relate to the DB Users exist on the destination when the restore takes place, the securables will align with those logins. Otherwise they will be orphaned. When the appropriate logins are added after the restore, they can be quickly fixed by use of
sp_Change_Users_Login 'Auto_Fix', 'UserName'

Mike Hinds
Senior Database Administrator
1st Source Bank
MCP, MCTS
lkennedy76
lkennedy76
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Rod, did you understand what Mike is saying? Please PM me if you need more explaination. :-)

MCSA SQL Server 2012
Rod
Rod
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Hi Mike and It's The Database,

Your reply, Mike, made me realize that I left out some important details. Our current SQL 2005 database is on a server on-premise. The new SQL 2012 database will be on a VM, on a server hosted by our parent company. So the hardware aspect of our operation is moving off site. I'm pretty sure that those users and accounts will at least change names, on the new machine/VM.

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
lkennedy76
lkennedy76
Hall of Fame

Rod,

you can one of two things here.

a) create the current users under security and once you restore they will sync up.

b) new site new names, no worries, restore the database, delete the old users from the database then add the new user names in security.

pretty simple

MCSA SQL Server 2012
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.