SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

using Sqlpsx functions on a production sql box

using Sqlpsx functions on a production sql box

Author
Indianrock
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
There is a very handy cmdlet called Get-sqlerrorlog that I'd like to use but everyone is very strict about installing anything on a production sql server. I want to use it to save off the sql error logs ( specific entries ). I wish there was a way to "embed" the function in the powershell sql agent job so it wasn't dependent on something installed on the server.
http://sqlpsx.codeplex.com/releases/view/25394

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

Where are you trying to "save off the SQL Error logs" to? A table or a file?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Indianrock
Indianrock
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Saving to files with timestamp in the name. The request was to keep error log entries ( other than backup/logon messages ) for a year. I could use the xp_ReadErrorLog approach to write to a table, but thought I'd try powershell.

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)SSC Guru (84K reputation)

Indianrock (8/24/2013)
Saving to files with timestamp in the name. The request was to keep error log entries ( other than backup/logon messages ) for a year. I could use the xp_ReadErrorLog approach to write to a table, but thought I'd try powershell.

Although there are certainly some great benefits to using PowerShell for certain things, I tend to stay within the confines of SQL Server if it can be done there. A lot of people will disagree with it but I have several WMI "collectors" of data written in PowerShell that I call from T-SQL using xp_CmdShell. People will also disagree with this just because I use xp_CmdShell but we have the system very well locked down and we have no under-privileged users that have been proxied out to use it directly.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Laerte Poltronieri...
Laerte Poltronieri Junior-367636
Old Hand
Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)Old Hand (325 reputation)

Just a comment, you are not installing anything. it is a open source library, you can check the code and it is only copy and paste the modules It is not intrusive.. It is the same that you copy the code and create your Get-SQLErrorLogMine and paste the code in there and say "I did it. Lets try it and publish in production if it is ok". (not correct to do that of ocurse, but just to exemplify that it is not like you install an application or something like that)

$hell your Experience !!!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.