SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What's in a name?

What's in a name?

Author
rodjkidd
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Yep missed that as well. And more fool me someone had said about VS 2012 being different - must have coffee before answering QotD! I haven't upgraded VS to 2012 yet.

SSDTBI just doesn't have the same ring to it!

Rodders...

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

Michael Riemer (7/19/2013)
IgorMi (7/19/2013)

BIDS will stay among the folks, as shorter it is as easier to use.

+1

Don't understand the logic of the insistance on renaming something that everyone is happy with - except maybe someone who is probably in marketing!!! This reminds me of the confuision behind "cubes" and "symantic layer" (well almost!!!)

How long before it is simply reverted back to BIDS???

Crazy

You're right, it is crazy. That's the whole point of this QotD. Highlight the "stupidity" of renaming a well known product two times, which leads only to confusion.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Kwex
Kwex
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)SSC-Addicted (489 reputation)

Sad to get so close (SSDT) and still get it wrong! Good question ...
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

renamed to SSDTBI to avoid confusion! could have fooled me.

So with SQL2012 and 2014 install media we dont get the option to install the BIDS equivalent? that sounds a backward step. Or have I misunderstood?

Are SSDT and SSDTBI separate things? which one do I install for developing SSIS packages?

Unsure

---------------------------------------------------------------------
sharath.chalamgari
sharath.chalamgari
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Should have been back to BIDS instead of SSDTBI. we call simply BI Tool
lshanahan
lshanahan
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I was thinking SSDT, too.

Software updates in general seem to be driven more by marketing and perception than anything else, and don't EVEN get me started on version numbers. Just about the time you finish your procurement process, test a new version of something and are reasonably sure it won't break anything critical, you get to start all over again.

Personally, I prefer the approach of something like Slackware that gets released when it's darn good and ready, as opposed to the latest "Yowling Yak" followed near-instantaneously by "zig-zagging zebra" where the differences are so incremental you wonder: "Was a new version REALLY necessary?"

SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

george sibbald (7/19/2013)

So with SQL2012 and 2014 install media we dont get the option to install the BIDS equivalent? that sounds a backward step. Or have I misunderstood?

Are SSDT and SSDTBI separate things? which one do I install for developing SSIS packages?

Unsure

No no, only with the SQL 2014 CTP1 install media there's no option to install a business intelligence development environment. I believe this is because it's just a CTP, used for testing purposes. This issue will probably dissapear in future releases.

When installing SQL Server 2012, you install SSDT, which is essentially BIDS in Visual Studio 2010. SSDTBI is essentially BIDS in Visual Studio 2012.

When developing SSIS packages for SQL Server 2012, you can install SSDT (VS 2010) during the set-up, or you can download SSDTBI (VS 2012) as a seperate tool. Both products can develop SSIS packages for SQL Server 2012. The only difference is that in SSDTBI you have to look at the ugly Visual Studio 2012 interface.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
OCTom
OCTom
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Wait?!?!? It's not Notepad?!?!?

w00t
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (7/19/2013)
george sibbald (7/19/2013)

Unsure

No no, only with the SQL 2014 CTP1 install media there's no option to install a business intelligence development environment. I believe this is because it's just a CTP, used for testing purposes. This issue will probably dissapear in future releases.

When installing SQL Server 2012, you install SSDT, which is essentially BIDS in Visual Studio 2010. SSDTBI is essentially BIDS in Visual Studio 2012.

When developing SSIS packages for SQL Server 2012, you can install SSDT (VS 2010) during the set-up, or you can download SSDTBI (VS 2012) as a seperate tool. Both products can develop SSIS packages for SQL Server 2012. The only difference is that in SSDTBI you have to look at the ugly Visual Studio 2012 interface.

cheers

george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane

OCTom (7/19/2013)
Wait?!?!? It's not Notepad?!?!?

w00t

at least one person thought so (no it wasn't me :-))

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.