Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server also Domain Controller ?

SQL Server also Domain Controller ?

Author
homebrew01
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Our secondary domain controller died, so we have no backup if the main one also dies. We have a reporting SQL server we could temporarily utilize as a backup domain controller.

What are the downsides to implementing the SQL 2008 server (Windows server 2003) as a domain controller and reporting SQL server until we get the other server fixed ?

Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

Resource contention would my first thought..

Is the SQL box running at near capacity or not?

Honestly I would do this as a last resort.

I would probably just build up a beefy desktop to fill the role till I could get a replacement server in instead. Adding a DC to a SQL box could easily cause performance issues for both SQL and the domain functionality.

CEWII
jasona.work
jasona.work
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

A bigger issue to making a SQL Server a DC is the permissions that get set. I once (accidently) started to promote a SQL Server to be a DC (it was late, I was RDPed into the wrong server, I was young and naive!) It broke the SQL Server even after I cancelled the dcpromo...

I managed to get it back up and running, but it wasn't a fun time.

TLBigGrinR:
DON'T DO IT!
Take Elliotts' suggestion, find a decently powered desktop PC, load Server 200X on it and make it a DC. Or if you've got a virtualization environment (Hyper-V, VMWare) load a virtual machine and set it up as a DC.

Jason
Elliott Whitlow
Elliott Whitlow
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.2K reputation)

jasona.work (7/9/2013)
A bigger issue to making a SQL Server a DC is the permissions that get set. I once (accidently) started to promote a SQL Server to be a DC (it was late, I was RDPed into the wrong server, I was young and naive!) It broke the SQL Server even after I cancelled the dcpromo...

I managed to get it back up and running, but it wasn't a fun time.

TLBigGrinR:
DON'T DO IT!
Take Elliotts' suggestion, find a decently powered desktop PC, load Server 200X on it and make it a DC. Or if you've got a virtualization environment (Hyper-V, VMWare) load a virtual machine and set it up as a DC.

Jason
I like the VM idea.

I just thought of something else, depending on the rights that your SQL runs as I could see some real hacking opportunities with having a DC on the box with SQL..

I just keep coming back to, it's just not worth it..

CEWII
e4d4
e4d4
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)SSC Veteran (275 reputation)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506%28v=sql.100%29.aspx#DC_Support
Section: Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller

The biggest issue is reinstalling SQLServer before promo and then after changing from DC to domain meber.

"After SQL Server is installed on a computer, you cannot change the computer from a domain member to a domain controller. You must uninstall SQL Server before you change the host computer to a domain controller."
homebrew01
homebrew01
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Thanks for the replies. We will find a different box to use.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.