SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Change the Maintenance Plan Owner

Change the Maintenance Plan Owner

Author
Shashank Srivastava
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Change the Maintenance Plan Owner

Regards
Shashank Srivastava
MCITP - SQL SERVER 2008
INDIA
Follow me @ http://shashanksrivastavasqldba.blogspot.com/
Dana Medley
Dana Medley
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Good read. This has actually bit me in the butt before with almost the exact scenario you posted in the article.

Everything is awesome!
Shashank Srivastava
Shashank Srivastava
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (196 reputation)

Thanks.

Regards
Shashank Srivastava
MCITP - SQL SERVER 2008
INDIA
Michael Valentine Jones
Michael Valentine Jones
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

For 2005, 2008, or 2008 R2, you should check column packagetype=6 to make sure you are only updating maintenance plan packages.

The script below works with 2005, 2008, or 2008 R2 maintenance plans.

Change Maintenance Plan Owner
http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=164441
rollercoaster43
rollercoaster43
Old Hand
Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)

Shashank, Good Post!! I have a query on this.. Once we change the owner of Maintenance Plan,
Is there a script we can use to update the password for that account?
EveryTime I Change the PWd of the owner login I keep updating the password manually by going to Manage Connection tab inside the package.

Any Idea if we can script this activity as well to get this updated in the Maintenance plan as well??
Shashank Srivastava
Shashank Srivastava
SSC-Enthusiastic

Thanks for the nice suggestion ,its really good. But here i was doing it by the maintenance plan name so didn't want to use package type.

Regards
Shashank Srivastava
MCITP - SQL SERVER 2008
INDIA
Shashank Srivastava
Shashank Srivastava
SSC-Enthusiastic

I don't think you need to update the owner password in maintenance plan after changing it in SQL Server. It will automatically take it from the SQL Server. If you have faced such issue then let me know and I will investigate it further.

Regards
Shashank Srivastava
MCITP - SQL SERVER 2008
INDIA
rollercoaster43
rollercoaster43
Old Hand
Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)Old Hand (399 reputation)

Dear Shashank,

If your Maintenance Plan runs with sa password and if you do a Password reset for sa account, you need to manually open up the Maintenance Plan Package and go to Manage Connection and update the Password over there as well.

In case the Password is not Updated, your jobs will start failing.. I am manually performing this activity to avoid job failures..
Shashank Srivastava
Shashank Srivastava
SSC-Enthusiastic

Hi,

Let me test it out in my dev environment and I will come back to you. In case this is happening then I will share the script to change it for all maintenance plan.

Regards
Shashank Srivastava
MCITP - SQL SERVER 2008
INDIA
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.