Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Temporary Stored Procedures

Temporary Stored Procedures

Author
alchemy9
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)Grasshopper (18 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
You can also use with encryption when creating the temp stored procedure.

Interestingly in SQL 2012 when the encrypted stored procedure is created the SQL code is viewable in profiler, unlike previous SQL versions... A bug??
paulhutagalung
paulhutagalung
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

any sample of using this temp sproc?
i usually use dynamic query for defining same complex processes from multiple tables.
i wonder how to create temp sproc inside a procedure or it is just for ad hoc process in SSMS?
Tobar
Tobar
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)SSC Veteran (269 reputation)

You're encrypting the temp stored procedure?? I am not clear what you are saying you "can" do.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
nycdotnet
nycdotnet
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (153 reputation)

This was interesting. Thanks for writing this article.

I do slightly disagree with one part of what you've said which is that SQL doesn't support temporary views. While this is technically correct, SQL Server's CTE functionality does a pretty good impersonation of temporary views.

Thanks again.
Luis Cazares
Luis Cazares
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.6K reputation)

All of those asking for cases on when Temp Stored Procedures would be useful ever read the entire article? At the end, it mentions some acceptable scenarios.

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
danielk1
danielk1
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

I would just use in line TSQL with a begin/end and declaration of vars - no need to have a SP
Roland Howard Boorman
Roland Howard Boorman
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

I have used temporary Stored Procs for many years with XML and inline code they are a very elegant wen used with temporary tables
MattieNH
MattieNH
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)SSCrazy (3K reputation)

Is it just me, or does this sound like an auditing nightmare?

Mattie

john.arnott
john.arnott
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

MattieNH (6/25/2013)
Is it just me, or does this sound like an auditing nightmare?

Mattie

How so? The temp sp goes away at the end of the session and I would presume that this feature doesn't open any back doors to allow more access than the user would have in a more direct script.

I'm happy to learn of this -- as the author suggests, it could be very useful in ad-hoc ETL situations and for testing where my DBA has (rightfully so) denied me object creation access.
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

Roland Howard Boorman (6/25/2013)
I have used temporary Stored Procs for many years with XML and inline code they are a very elegant wen used with temporary tables

What were the temporary stored procedures doing and why wouldn't permanent stored procedures have done the same job for you?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.