SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Batch ETL of Multiple Data Files Using an SSIS Foreach Loop Container

Batch ETL of Multiple Data Files Using an SSIS Foreach Loop Container

Author
Stan Kulp-439977
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Batch ETL of Multiple Data Files Using an SSIS Foreach Loop Container
GShenanigan
GShenanigan
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

Great guide for anyone looking to get started with file processing in SSIS! You can actually simplify it even more if you like, by using a File System Task, instead of a Script Task to move your processed files once done. That way you don't even need to write any code!
RonKyle
RonKyle
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

You can actually simplify it even more if you like, by using a File System Task, instead of a Script Task to move your processed files once done. That way you don't even need to write any code!

Having just spent the past several days developing imports for multiple csv and xls files, I would recommend that a script task would be best to do the move. The move file task seems to be buggy, at least with variables, and the suggested work around of using a copy followed by a delete affects file properties such as creation date.

imz
imz
Valued Member
Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)

RonKyle (6/13/2013)
You can actually simplify it even more if you like, by using a File System Task, instead of a Script Task to move your processed files once done. That way you don't even need to write any code!

Having just spent the past several days developing imports for multiple csv and xls files, I would recommend that a script task would be best to do the move. The move file task seems to be buggy, at least with variables, and the suggested work around of using a copy followed by a delete affects file properties such as creation date.

I have used the File task with variable and never encountered a problem so I'm curious to know what issues have you had and in what scenario(s). Do you have some examples you could share?

Thanks in advance
RonKyle
RonKyle
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I can only tell you that it didn't work, and searching the internet made it clear that I wasn't alone. As I don't document processes that don't work, only those that do, I don't have a handy example. As a former programmer, I don't find coding difficult anyway. I would be interested in seeing a screen shot of one of your moves where you set the source and destination, though, so I could try to mimic your solution.

THanks,

imz
imz
Valued Member
Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)Valued Member (66 reputation)

Sure, I'll put something together and post it. Thanks for responding.
sbamaty
sbamaty
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)SSChasing Mays (652 reputation)

imz (6/13/2013)
RonKyle (6/13/2013)

I have used the File task with variable and never encountered a problem so I'm curious to know what issues have you had and in what scenario(s). Do you have some examples you could share?

Thanks in advance

Nice post for the people who are looking for simple ways to import multiple files and then moving processed file(s) to backup destination. Even though I have used File System Task to move processed file and never had an issue (lets cross our fingers), I prefer Script Task instead because you can do so much with Script Task.

The only thing I would suggest here is, instead of hard-coding source and destination inside Script Task, I would declare them as variable and pass those variables to Script Task, that way if you need to change source or destination later in future, you can only change the value to the variable without requiring to go into the Script Task. It is good for those people who does not know much of programming. Also, it is better if you need to build an expression out of those variables.
smart762000
smart762000
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

This article is good to begin with. I used FileSystemTask to move files to backup folder(without any issues so far), the advantage with this method is the developer need not to worry about VB scripting.
wholmes 69850
wholmes 69850
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)SSC Rookie (46 reputation)

I'm learning C# and SQL. I'm having trouble figuring out the C# equivalent to the VB code in the Script Task Editor. Would appreciate any help. Have tried finding similar code in C# with no luck yet.

Thanks,
Wendell
Stan Kulp-439977
Stan Kulp-439977
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)SSC Eights! (984 reputation)

A C#.NET toolkit for writing SSIS Script Tasks

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Integration+Services+(SSIS)/76439/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.