SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Adding new files to a log-shipped database (SQL Spackle)

Adding new files to a log-shipped database (SQL Spackle)

Author
WayneS
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Adding new files to a log-shipped database (SQL Spackle)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

RichB
RichB
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

All so much easier if you just spend an hour or 2 writing your own logshipping routines.

crashdan
crashdan
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (848 reputation)SSC Eights! (848 reputation)SSC Eights! (848 reputation)SSC Eights! (848 reputation)SSC Eights! (848 reputation)SSC Eights! (848 reputation)SSC Eights! (848 reputation)SSC Eights! (848 reputation)

RichB (6/6/2013)
All so much easier if you just spend an hour or 2 writing your own logshipping routines.

Agreed - but this is still easy to add a new file after you have been running for a while when new files are added without starting over from a full restore.
jfogel
jfogel
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)

I wrote my own log shipping routines right down to duplicating the monitor report. I thought it was slick and it all worked very well but all I did was reinvent the wheel.

Cheers
chuck.hamilton
chuck.hamilton
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)

Mimicking the primary volumes on the secondary isn't always possible. Sometimes you have to work with what you are given. I log ship about 500 primary databases from 40 or so remote servers to a single local secondary server that I run tape backups off of. That secondary server has only one enormous data drive - E:. Most of the primary servers are default instances with data on the D: drive, and on top of that many of them have the same database and file names.

I ended up doing some custom scripting to implement this but I'm using the shrink wrapped log shipping and monitor routines. I just automated the creation of the 500+ log shipping configurations.
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Nice article Wayne. But more importantly, CONGRATS ON THE MCM CERTIFICATION!! w00t

Best,
Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru on googles mail service
WayneS
WayneS
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.8K reputation)

TheSQLGuru (6/6/2013)
Nice article Wayne. But more importantly, CONGRATS ON THE MCM CERTIFICATION!! w00t

Thanks (for both) Kevin.

Wayne
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

jfogel
jfogel
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)SSChasing Mays (647 reputation)

Yes, congrats on that. It is a very big deal indeed!

Cheers
Andy Warren
Andy Warren
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Wayne, good write up and super congrats on the MCM!

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
WayneS
WayneS
SSCrazy Eights

Thanks Andy

Wayne

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.