SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DBAs and the Fear of Time Off

DBAs and the Fear of Time Off

Author
Rodney Landrum
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item DBAs and the Fear of Time Off
PhilipC
PhilipC
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (859 reputation)SSC Eights! (859 reputation)SSC Eights! (859 reputation)SSC Eights! (859 reputation)SSC Eights! (859 reputation)SSC Eights! (859 reputation)SSC Eights! (859 reputation)SSC Eights! (859 reputation)

We're supposed to Work to Live, not Live to Work....... :-)
bigcraiginjax
bigcraiginjax
Valued Member
Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)

I was curious as to which Fugazi song it was. They are one of my favorites.

bigcraiginjax
herbaltea001-winter
herbaltea001-winter
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)

Ah yes. I remember feeling, mistakenly, that I was indispensable and that the company would collapse if I took leave. Truth is that I probably would have collapsed if I didn't take leave.
I guess the bottom line is that a firm is under-resourced if it can't afford to honour it's staff holiday entitlement.
Anyway, I am now retired and the firm I left is still going strong. They're not missing me at all, damn it!
Rodney Landrum
Rodney Landrum
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)

It was Margin Walker with the discordant axe blast right up front. I just listened to it again before posting this and the Pavlovian response is still strong within me. My wife walked by, my Blackberry co-dependent, and she stopped in her tracks too, thinking I had to go to work.
bigcraiginjax
bigcraiginjax
Valued Member
Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)Valued Member (69 reputation)

Great song! 13 songs is a great album. Waiting room is still heavy in my rotation.

bigcraiginjax
Michael Lysons
Michael Lysons
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)SSCrazy (2.7K reputation)

I have the same problem when it comes to getting my monthly pay. Will they, won't they? Will they kick up a fuss this time? Will they say no and force me to carry over some salary to next year?

Getting what you're entitled to based on your employment contract is hard.
Summer90
Summer90
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Here our DBA staff is 5, 4 Oracle and 1 SQL Server. We have been trying to find another DBA that has experience in Oracle and SQL Server for 9 months and come up zero. So, for years now... I continue to the SQL Server DBA. Not fun not having a backup person.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.