SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

What is a semicolon used for in SQL Server?

What is a semicolon used for in SQL Server?

Author
SQLArnold
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello All,
I have a co worker that uses the semicolon at the end of his SQL statements like

Select * From Table1(nolock) t1
Where t1.column is not null;

Besides it telling SQL Server that it is the end of the statement, is this good or normal practice? In C# it is required and is this where this has come from? I am just curious and would like to know best practices.

Thanks in advance for your time and assistance.

The pain of Discipline is far better than the pain of Regret!
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)SSC-Insane (20K reputation)

It's not required except for certain pieces at this time, such as ending the previous statement before starting a WITH component.

However, it does no harm and is 'proper' coding, even if unnecessary. I've never made a habit of using them nor have most standards I've worked through but at the same time there's really no reason not to. It's just a style preference.

One thing they do make easier though is finding the end of long queries by simply searching for ;s.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
SQLArnold
SQLArnold
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)SSC-Addicted (456 reputation)

Hello Craig and thank you for your reply. You make a great point and I would agree. I am going to make them a part of all of my queries.
Thanks again,

Tim Harms

The pain of Discipline is far better than the pain of Regret!
Loundy
Loundy
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

In future versions of sql server the ; will be compulsory after a statement too I believe.

There's no kill switch on awesome!
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)

Currently it's required at the end of a merge and the end of the statement prior to a CTE. REquirements may well increase in future as the T-SQL language gets more and more complex.

p.s. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/davidlean/archive/2009/04/06/sql-server-nolock-hint-other-poor-ideas.aspx

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Ed Wagner
Ed Wagner
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)

The semicolons are required in Oracle PL/SQL, but only in specific cases in T-SQL. Personally, I think it's just good coding practice. I've always done it and never run into a problem because of it. At this time, I think it boils down to mostly personal preference, but it makes sense to me to always include it.

Tally Tables - Performance Personified
String Splitting with True Performance
Best practices on how to ask questions
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

Personally, I find the semi-colon to be a really stupid and unnecessary aggravation. T-SQL worked for years without it until CTEs came around. What's really going to tick me off is when semi-colons actually do become required, you leave one out, and the damned code is smart enough to basically say, "you're missing a semi-colon at this line".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Not a huge fan of the expected requirement of the semi-colon at the end of each statement.

They do come in handy occasionally to help distinguish the end of some big queries or complex queries.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)SSC Guru (214K reputation)

SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)
Not a huge fan of the expected requirement of the semi-colon at the end of each statement.

They do come in handy occasionally to help distinguish the end of some big queries or complex queries.

So does a comment for the next query. :-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)SSC Guru (66K reputation)

Jeff Moden (5/10/2013)
SQLRNNR (5/10/2013)

So does a comment for the next query. :-)

one character or N characters

Sometimes taking the lazy 1 character approach is just so much easier.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.