SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

If you're confident about a change in your DB, triple check

If you're confident about a change in your DB, triple check

Author
HildaJ
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item If you're confident about a change in your DB, triple check
simon.murin
simon.murin
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (145 reputation)

Lesson learnt - never ever use the CLR :-)
Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Nice post. As ever the devil is in the details!

One suggestion I would make if anyone has to go through a database file move and consolidation is to double-check the storage.

If you have an underlying SAN then involving your SAN administrator can make life a lot easier. They will know what the physical storage underlying the presented drives looks like and whether it will support the IO load of the consolidation.
It may even prompt them to devot dedicated storage to SQL Server.Cool

It's very easy to forget that there may be things outside of SQL Server that can affect the performance and effectiveness of SQL Server.

If you migrate a really old system imagine finding that someone installed a set of ActiveX components being called by the sp_OA stored procs or through SQL 7 DTS packagesSick

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
BarbW
BarbW
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm sure you have not been the first and will not be the last to have this, or something like this happen when taking over legacy systems or migrating SQL files.
Rod
Rod
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

Interesting article. As someone whose possibly facing a change, and considering doing more DBA activities, I learned from what you've said here, Hilda, thanks.

Kindest Regards,Rod
Connect with me on LinkedIn.
Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)SSC Guru (219K reputation)

Thank you for sharing the experience. I'm concerned that you have databases set to TRUSTWORTHY ON, though... especially since they're public facing.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Russell Shilling
Russell Shilling
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Dealing with CLR procedures is a black art. Be sure to document that so you will remember in a year, when one database is moved again!

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3
HildaJ
HildaJ
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Jeff,

I totally agree with on the exposure of the database to the public. The team I formed part with now it's very concious about this issue. We're taking all the steps necessary to prevent that, or at least I'd like to believe we are and every day we're looking for hole in out environment : ) I think awareness and preparation is all we can do.

Thanks.
TravisDBA
TravisDBA
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Brent Ozar wrote a SQL script called "Blitz! 60 Minute Takeovers" that is meant for DBA's taking over existing database servers and databases that they are inheriting. It's a priceless gem and I have used it so many times in the past when taking over new database servers and databases that I am not familiar with. It should be a mainstay in your SQL toolbox. Check it out at http://www.BrentOzar.com/go/blitz :-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.