Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSIS Deployments

SSIS Deployments

Author
Koen Verbeeck
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SSIS Deployments

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
james.basilio
james.basilio
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Caveat that I haven't looked into this at all, but I'm curious if there is an option to deploy through TFS via an automated build?
rustman
rustman
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

How abou the Deployment Utility that you can generate when building the package? I do not have 2012 to test but 2008 has this built in.
Right click on the Project and select Properties, select the Deployment Utility and set the CreateDeploymentUtility to True.
This will create a deployment utility under the bin folder of the project. You just double click to start the utility.
Kirk Barnhart
Kirk Barnhart
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

It is possible to automate deployments of SSIS projects/packages through TFS. I am on the tail end of a proof of concept project of deployment of SSIS, SSRS, SSAS, and Schema from TFS build definitions.

I made use of several open source MSBuild extensions:
SSIS: http://sqlsrvintegrationsrv.codeplex.com/
SSRS: ssrsmsbuildtasks.codeplex.com
SSAS: http://msbuildextensionpack.codeplex.com/ (For the use of Devenv.exe via command line)

This is all against SQL Server 2012 instances as well.
AD's
AD's
Valued Member
Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)

These methods are good, but how to add multiple packages in different folders?
Like PackageA will go in folder A, PackageB will go under folder B in MSDB.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

Nice work Koen

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Steve Pettifer
Steve Pettifer
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

The only criticism I have, and this is common to a LOT of technical articles, is that this does not consider the scenario that you have to deploy an package to an environment you have no control over and know nothing of at design time, or if you have configuration values that need to be set as install time. Having faced exactly this problem where we need to deploy packages to customer sites (often the deployment is done by the customer themselves, or sometimes by one of our 'consultants', none of whom have the first idea how SSIS works) we opted for the command line option because it allows us to be a bit more intelligent. We have to supply both 2005 and 2008 versions of our package because our systems support both and with command line installation we can determine the version of the SQL server automatically and deploy the appropriate package. We can also determine the compatibility level of the target DB which is useful because we use some CLR functions and the number of people who upgrade a SQL 2000 DB and leave the compatibility level at 80, thus rendering CLR functions inoperable, is depressing.

Sadly the greatest limitation is the inability of the dtsinstall tool to specify config values as part of the install command meaning that users have to manually edit config values during installation which is very annoying (incidentally, if anyone know of a way to do this I'd love to hear it!).

sergio 25021
sergio 25021
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Good point. How do you deal with encrypted packages if a third party is installing the package? Are you force to give the password away to the third party to be able to make the required configuration changes?
Steve Pettifer
Steve Pettifer
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

Simple answer is that we don't: We leave our package unencrypted because there is nothing earth shakingly proprietary about it and clients own the data do there's nothing to hide. If we did have to deal with encrypted packages I'd probably smash my head against my desk. Actually considering dumping SSIS got this because our Oracle equivalent is just a bunch of procs and its easier to install and use and its quicker too!

sergio 25021
sergio 25021
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Thanks for the practical answer. And, therefore it becomes futile to protect the package from being edited by a third party (beyong config changes).
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.